Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slow backup times

2001-02-02 12:56:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slow backup times
From: bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com bryan_bahnmiller AT agilent DOT com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:56:57 -0700
Terry,

  We have just had to deal with a similar problem on an HP K580 (11.x, NBU
3.2.) The system was fairly large, about 80GB of filesystem (the Oracle
DB's, 150GB worth, are running online backups) and the backups kept timing
out in /var. When the fulls stalled in /var, the system had already backed
up over 560,000 files! The system is way overloaded, all cpu's running 90%+,
memory 100%, swap 85%, I/O 80%+, so backups were having a very hard time.

  We finally split the backup into 3 classes, where /var was a class of its
own. It seems that by splitting the backups, maybe the filelist is smaller
and easier to handle. Before, the full, if it ran, would take about 9 hours.
Now, the 3 separate classes will run in 3 hours. This is something you can
try fairly easily also.

      Bryan

Bryan Bahnmiller