Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] windows vs. UNIX master

2001-02-02 10:29:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] windows vs. UNIX master
From: McMurphy, Tim Tim.McMurphy AT cdcgy DOT com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 08:29:23 -0700
Personally I would go with Unix for master and slaves. Especially if you are
backing up Netware 4.11 clients (see below).

1) We started with Netbackup 3.11 and were getting "socket read errors" when
we backed up large Netware servers to the WinNT slave. The job would abort
and start over. After contacting Veritas tech support we isolated the
problem to the TCP/IP stack on the WinNT slave. Veritas told us the name of
the file we needed to get but that we had to get it from Microsoft. This was
before service pack 3 so I called Microsoft with our MSDN support and lied
about this being on a non-production server (otherwise they won't give it to
you!). Once this hot fix was applied all was well. Service pack 3 fixed this
problem with Microsoft's TCP/IP stack.

2) When doing large restores from the WinNT slave to the Netware servers we
would get "socket write errors". Sound familiar? Yet another problem with
WinNT's TCP/IP stack! As of service pack 6 this still has not been fixed.
The workaround that the engineers found for us was to use one of the Solaris
slaves to restore to the Netware server. We have restored up to 30 gig in 9
hours without a problem this way whereas we would not get more that 1 gig
restored before failing when using the WinNT slave. Luckily we had other
Unix slaves!