Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT Tapes How much space left on them ?

2001-02-01 19:09:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT Tapes How much space left on them ?
From: fx [François-Xavier Peretmere] fx AT Veritas DOT com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 01:09:29 +0100

 why do you want to reformat a tape. tapes are not disks, you
don't have to format it. if you mean relabel it, then use the
bpabel command if the tape has already a label.

> Also is there a command to tellme how much space is being
> used by each tape and which server is using the space ?
       ^^
       on

 bpmedialist -mlist
 goodies\available_media.cmd

 bpimagelist -U -client <client>

> Can I set up an alert so I know when the tapes are getting full ?.

 write a script. put it in nt scheduler or use the notify
script to run it.

> I am running the master server on an NT server.
>
> What is strange is when I use the BPMEDIAlIST command, I get
> messages saying some tapes are frozen what does this mean ???

 that you should read the doc maybe?

 a frozen tape can't be writen until it's unfrozen. so if you've got
frozen tapes, maybe it's time to find why. common cause is wrong
barecoded tape, or tape containing data from other app (tar, cpio,
mstf...) - netbackup by default won't erase those tapes but will
freezes them. check: reporting -> all logs.

 fx

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

--
     fx AT veritas DOT com       | To have no errors
François-Xavier Peretmere | would be life without meaning.