Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How does TapeAlert function and how to set it up?

2001-02-01 13:06:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How does TapeAlert function and how to set it up?
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 13:06:35 -0500
OK ... SO I thought I'd give this auto-clean a try one more time. I have an
ATL7100 with 7 DLT7000 tape drives installed. I have 2 DLT Cleaning Cartridges
inside the library that I inserted via the mail slot using NBU media
management. I set the AUTO CLEAN option on the library and set the cleaning
frequency within NBU to 0 on each drive. Since there were several drives that
had the "Use Cleaning Tape" light lit, it immediately went to work mounting the
tape. It also ejected it via the mail slot after it was done because there were
only 5 cleanings left on the cartridge before it started and it used them all.
I pulled the cartridge out and inserted a new one, with 20 available cleanings
on it, into the mail slot. Using NBU media manager I inserted a single cleaning
tape and placed it in the only empty slot. I re-used the original barcode from
the tape I removed. The library turned right around and ejected this new
cartridge but NBU still shows it in the media list.

Having said all that, here are the questions:

Is the auto-clean independent of NBU? I noticed when I did a display on the
original cleaning cartridge (after it was ejected) NBU still thought it was in
the library and had 5 cleanings available.

Is there a special process that has to be followed when inserting new DLT
cleaning cartridges into a library?

The data displayed via the tpclean line command does not seem to be updated
when using the auto-clean feature. Aside from the cartridge being ejected
automatically, how do you know how many times a cartridge has been used and
when you can estimate it will be ejected?

There are other questions I have about this process but I don't want to appear
greedy. I tried to use this auto-clean feature when I first installed my
environment but wasn't aware of this list server so I just let the issue die
and went with cleaning my drives every 60 hours or so. If the auto-clean
feature just does its thing and is oblivious to the NBU environment, I may go
back to my original plan.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> "Weaver, Paul" <paul.weaver AT stratech DOT com> 02/01/01 08:16AM >>>
Michael,
        It should be automatic.  If you change your cleaning frequency on
your drives to 0, then whenever NetBackup receives an alert from the drive
for a drive cleaning, it will automatically clean it if there is an
available cleaning tape.
        I believe this was implemented in version 3.2, so earlier versions
won't do it.

Paul Weaver