Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Stuck Cleaning Tapes

2001-01-26 13:31:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Stuck Cleaning Tapes
From: Weaver, Paul paul.weaver AT stratech DOT com
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:31:29 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C087C6.35D06CA0

Bob,
        It sounds like you are cleaning the drives too much.  We have some
drives that have gone 100+ hours without needing to be cleaned.  Cleaning
them too much may/will damage the heads.  Also, depending on the source,
some say that when you put in a brand new DLT tape into a drive, that the
new tape actually cleans the drive.
        With the newer versions of NetBackup, I believe starting with 3.2,
they have a built in feature to automatically clean the drives when a drive
needs cleaning (as long as there is an available cleaning tape).
        I am not sure what would be the best thing to do about the stuck
tapes while backups are running.  You may be able to "reset" the drive with
the stuck tape using NetBackup via the device management GUI.  Somebody,
might have a better recommendation though.

Paul Weaver