Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpend_notify

2001-01-25 18:03:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpend_notify
From: KevinB AT paccessglobal DOT com KevinB AT paccessglobal DOT com
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:03:08 -0800
The dba is using the bpstart_notify and bpend_notify to shutdown/restart
oracle apps and the database.   If the first attempt of the backup fails for
any reason we have a succession of failures of bpstart_notify.  It appears
that NB sends the failure status to bpend_notify but does not wait for it to
complete.  The job goes back into the queue, gets pulled off the queue and
runs bpstart_notify and it fails because the apps are not completely up
(yes, I know bpstart_notify should be able handle this but oracle apps is a
convoluted mess), this then sets up another round of bpend_notify.  When
this problem occurs, this process continues until the backup window closes
and we finally get a 196 message.

I am going to rewrite the bpend script (I am leaving the bpstart for the dba
due to the idiosyncrasies of oracle apps) to check the status codes so that
the apps and database are only restarted when the backup is successful or
when NetBackup gives up.  The obvious status codes are 0 (success), 1
(success with some files skipped), 196 (failed beyond backup window), and
(failed maximum number of retries) but I can't find the status number for
this case in the documentation.

Does anyone know what this status code is and are there others that I should
include?

Thanks