Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Why I hate NDMP

2001-01-17 16:02:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Why I hate NDMP
From: Brad Fisher P70142 p70142 AT email.mot DOT com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:02:41 -0700
Well, I *am* new to Netbackup, but we have a similar setup going
here and we're getting about 5mbs on full streaming backups using
NDMP (760 filer to a STK9710) ... and I have fully indexed backups
to restore from. Of course we are using the UNIX version of Netbackup
to backup those NT shares ... are you using the NT version, and is
it different???

What is stopping you from having indexed clients with NDMP?

Client:            azXXXXX
Backup ID:         azXXXXX_0979695520
Class:             az25XXXXX
Class Type:        NDMP
Sched Label:       NetAppIncr
Schedule Type:     Differential Incremental Backup
Retention Level:   3 months (5)
Backup Time:       01/16/01 18:38:40
Elapsed Time:      004:54:28
Expiration Time:   04/19/01 18:38:40
Compressed:        no
Encrypted:         no
Kilobytes:         89701474
Number of Files:   510696

89.7gb in 5 hours ain't too shabby ... short incrementals show poor
performance of course because the filer has to look for the files.

--
Bradley W. Fisher
Motorola UNIX systems consultant