Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NUMBER_ & SIZE_DATA BUFFERS

2001-01-15 14:28:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NUMBER_ & SIZE_DATA BUFFERS
From: Jim VandeVegt vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:28:16 -0800 (PST)
I just thought I'd post a little summary of my experimentation since
I wrote the original message on the thread.

I've ended up deleting both files, reverting back to the way we've
run our site for several months. I've tried reducing my SIZE_ all the
way down to 64K, which is supposedly the NetBackup default for MPX
backups anyway, and I get various errors from my NT client backups.

Someone of the list suggested I check the st.conf file and make sure
variable block size was set, and it was.

Someone suggested that my error codes were a result of hitting
end-of-media. This would happen since tapes already in use used one
or variable block sizes, apparently setting SIZE_ forces one into a
fixed block size, and the size wouldn't fit evenly into whatever was
left on the tape. I don't understand why a "media full" condition
wouldn't be graciously handled, though.

--- "W. Curtis Preston" <curtis AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> I know this message is old, but I've read this a number of times
> and wanted
> to comment on it.

> >Quoting Jim VandeVegt <vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com>:
> >
> > > Can other readers share what your NUMBER and
> >SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS are in
> > > /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config?
> > >
> > > My master server is a Sun 450, 1 GB RAM, 2x 400 MHz
> >processing.
> > > Shared Memory MAX is set to 1GB in /etc/system. Six
> >tape drives.
> > >
> > > I recently noticed my backups were going pretty slow
> >and I realized I
> > > didn't have these two files in place, thus I was
> >using the default
> > > 8x32KB buffers. I remembered from my NetBackup class
> >that almost
> > > everyone increases the size of the buffers and
> >usually decreases the
> > > numbers, but maintains a great increase in the total
> >size of the
> > > buffer (size times number).
> > >
> > > I tried 4 buffers 1048576 bytes (2^20 = 1 MB) big. I
> >noticed a
> > > speedup in backups, but some NT clients started
> >throwing errors.
> > >
> > > Most of the errors are 174, a media manager error,
> >which doesn't make
> > > a lot of sense; and a few error 41 (network
> >connection timeout).
> > >
> > > But I haven't fully diagnosed the errors net in the
> >log files. I'm
> > > more interested in what other installations use for
> >the buffer settings.

=====
Jim VandeVegt
vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com vandevegt AT avaya DOT com
http://members.xoom.com/vandevegt
Toilet paper should come off the front!