Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FW: media write errors - 84

2001-01-15 11:22:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FW: media write errors - 84
From: Robert Peterson Robert.Peterson AT gbe DOT com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:22:09 -0600
This could be a compatibility issue.
We have had similar problems when the tape drive blocksize on one
of our five aix servers was set to a fixed size,   ie 512  as  opposed to '0' .
When another server tried to use the tape, errors occurred.

Pete

Robert.peterson AT gbe DOT com

>>> "Collins, Kathy" <KCollins AT coral-energy DOT com> 01/10/01 10:01AM >>>
This is a status update to a message I posted back in November.  I have been
attempting to resolve our media write errors in NetBackup.  Our problem of
getting
these errors once or twice a night eventually only occurred on one drive,
which
we had already replaced once.  We had the drive replaced a second time, and
still saw the errors just on that drive.  Then we switched this drive with
another
to see if the problem followed the drive or stayed with the location.  It
followed
the drive.  We had the drive replaced a third time about a week ago and
haven't
seen the write errors on the drive since.

The next day we got two write errors on two other drives, drives that have
never
had this error before.  We have also seen a few ioctl (MTWEOF) and (MTWFSF)
errors on the drive that we replaced.  These errors freeze the tape
immediately.
I'm not convinced that these tapes are bad.

I had a few replies from people on the list with similar problems, both
stating that
the problem has never gone away, no matter what they tried.  Both replaced
drives
several times.

We have the same version of NetBackup installed on an Ultra 2 connected to
an
L3500 with none of the above problems.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I can try to stop these
errors
from occurring?  Are there lots of you having the same problem?  Or is it
just the
three of us?

Thanks,
Kathy