Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Still Another Question on Firewalls, Ports and S ecurity

2001-01-04 14:21:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Still Another Question on Firewalls, Ports and S ecurity
From: Bob Bakh bbakh AT veritas DOT com
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:21:35 -0800
I'm not a big fan of doing backup of data across a firewall, if you have
data on the outside of a firewall it is in harms way and is not really to be
trusted, and poking holes in your fire wall allows for easier security
breaches.

In the customers that I have running backups outside their firewall I have
them set up a master outside the fire wall and share the library inside the
firewall

This way they only need the vmd and tldd ports opened for communication.  I
think maybe also ltid and tldcd, but I may be mistaken, and the volume
database host would be the master inside the firewall.  Anyway this way they
have the data backed up and only a couple of holes that have definite start
hosts and end hosts.

Wouldn't it be safer and more secure to not have unique data outside the
firewall, rather have a staging area internally that has a duplicate image
of the data outside the fire wall before it's released in production?  And
even burning the firewall servers onto CD's and having them run that way so
no changes can be made to the system?

I'm just a left over system admin =)

Bob