Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning Frequency

2000-12-13 22:54:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning Frequency
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:54:30 -0500
According to the book "DLT University", published by ATL/Quantum, there is
really no recommended frequency. In fact, they say that the drives are self
cleaning (sort of) with each tape mount so all you really have to do is clean
them when the "Use Cleaning Tape" light comes on. Ideally, you could use
NetBackup to recognize that the cleaning tape light came on and it would
automatically be cleaned. That, however, is a function of your library. I have
an ATL7100 and a SUN L11000 and I still haven't figured out how to set up
automatic cleaning based on the light. I set mine to 60 hours and experience no
problems. I have had conversations with other NetBackup users on other
newsgroups that are cleaning their drives after 300 hours of use. I guess the
answer you're looking for is "You can just about make it anything you want".

Regards,

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> <John_Wang AT enron DOT net> 12/13/00 06:32PM >>>

Hello

OK, so what's a reasonable cleaning frequency to use for DLT tapes?  10 hours,
20 hours?   We put a little ADIC Scalar 218 out at one of our remote sites,
pissing thing, takes forever to inventory.

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer
Steverson Information Professionals