Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Mechanics of NB DB backup

2000-12-07 14:09:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Mechanics of NB DB backup
From: Rasana Atreya rasana_atreya AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:09:17 -0800
Hi,

I have Netbackup 3.2 on a Solaris 2.5.1 master (no slave). I use two media
for alternately backing up my Netbackup database:

- Tape on a directly connected DLT4700 stacker
- 16 gig disk on the master server

On tapes I know that the database gets appended. This means that when the
tape fills up you can just replace it. Does the same thing happen on a disk?
The reason I ask is that currently the disk used to back up
the database is at 69% percent, but it keeps increasing/decreasing
(fluctuating) in size.

The first time the disk filled up to 89% of it's capacity, I figured that
since I just needed the latest version of the database, I could unassign the
disk, force an immediate backup of the database to tape, newfs the disk and
then reassign it. Didn't quite work as I expected (append behaviour). When
the next backup occured, the disk was again at 89%.

What I'd really like is that I have the latest copy on either the disk or
the tape. I don't mind overwriting the disk.

The manuals do not seem to address this issue. Or am I missing something
here?

Regards,
Rasana