Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpexpdate not working properly

2000-12-01 15:14:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpexpdate not working properly
From: egml5 egml5 AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:14:11 -0500
I think we wrongly assumed that performing a bpexpdate on the tape should
show up in the media manager as an expiration date for the media id.
I believe by performing a bpexpdate -ev "mediaid" that we are getting the
appropriate results.

If you are curious about the source of our troubles here's a synopsis:
All backup images at our corporation have a default retention of X amount
of days.  We have decided to save tapes containing month end backup images
for the period of one year.  We have also decided to save tapes containing
year
end backup images for 5 years.  We are currently doing this via a
session_notify.cmd
script that checks for last day of month and last day of year and is
configured to
use the bpexpdate.exe to adjust expiration dates on all images on those
month/year end tapes.  (How we do date calculations in CMD files could
be another thread in itself - if you are interested in this information I
would
be glad to share what I have)

The basics are as follows:
:: session_notify.cmd excerpt.
SET TMP0=".\$BPMED$.TXT"
SET TMP1=".\$MEDID$.TXT"
FOR /F "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('DATE /T')       do SET
tdate=%%a/%%b/%%c
BPMEDIALIST.EXE  -p Duplicate               >%TMP0%
find "%tdate%" %TMP0%             >%TMP1%
FOR /F "tokens=1*" %%i in ('type %TMP1%') do (if not %%i==----------
bpexpdate -ev %%i -d %ydatepartdaymonth%/%ydatepartyear1% -force)

Thank you all for your support and again if you want to discuss WINNT
scripting
just drop me  line.

Regards,
egml5 AT hotmail DOT com