Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Administering a single tape drive.

2000-11-22 12:07:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Administering a single tape drive.
From: Sixbury, Dan dsixbury AT saint-lukes DOT org
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 11:07:41 -0600
I have admittingly been spoiled by using a silo with netbackup backups, but
now have to configure a server at a satellite office which will have a
single 35/70 GB DLT drive to back 4 servers up.  2 Unix servers and 2 NT
servers.

Since I won't have the luxury of bar codes I will assume that I will need to
bplabel each tape for backups.  I think one of the system admin guides
stated that labeling tapes was not necessary, but I would think that it
would be too confusing as humans to know what tapes were what without
labels.

I am wanting to have a new tape put in the drive Monday through Friday.
Does anything need to be done from the Netbackup administration gui to note
that a tape has been changed within the DLT?  I know on legato that you used
to have to tell it that you were mounting or unmounting a tape before
removing it from a DLT.  Also, If I label the tapes from 1-10 (as an example
of 2 weeks M-F) and for ease of this question let say that they are labeled
00-10.  Will the backup know to go to the next tape, or will Netbackup try
to request the same tape if there is still room for writing?  ie  If I used
03 last night for a backup, then put 04 in the tape drive, is the backup
going to kick off and wait in the queue for tape 03?

Thank you.
Dan