Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup archiving?

2000-11-20 15:48:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup archiving?
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:48:55 -0600
Ryan,

I'm starting to use it. I have been able to get my users to put the files they
want to archive into directory trees of the form

DIR/username/FILES......

and so I've written a little shell script that calls bparchive with a file
list for each user, and then sends them email when its done with the list of
files archived.  Eventually I want to be able to create a nicer interface that
is web-based, does archiving and retrieval, and has the ability to store
metadata for each file or group of files archived.  I haven't found a good way
to do it however.

Essentially, I'd like to:

- Allow many more retention levels than NB currently does
- Allow me to automatically refresh old media on a schedule to make sure my
tapes are still readable, etc.

- Have a cleaner mechanism for colocating images of the same retention period
onto the same media when I need to force things with a "bpexpdate" command.
- A web interface
- a mechanism for storing metadata that is more than the "KEYWORD" currently
allows.

If I do write something to do the above, I'll see about releasing it here.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A