Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] separate restore server?

2000-11-15 11:22:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] separate restore server?
From: Collins, Kathy KCollins AT coral-energy DOT com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:22:08 -0600
Our main NetBackup backup server runs full backups to be sent offsite on
Wednesdays.
These backups go the the Offsite pool of tapes.  If a request to restore
files from offsite
data is made on Wednesday while the backups are running, we have run into a
problem.
When we put the restore tapes into the tape library, backups running to the
same pool,
the Offsite pool, will try to write to these tapes.  If we write protect the
tapes, the backups
will still attempt to write to these tapes, but then fail when they can't.

Some of these restore requests are urgent, but the offsite backups are
critical.  We have
not figured out a way to do both at the same time.  We are considering
buying a small
server to be designated as a restore-only server, but have questions on how
to do this.
I assume we would have to have a daily copy of the NetBackup catalogs from
the backup
server to the restore server.  Would it be that easy?

Any thoughts on this problem or restore server idea would be appreciated.

NetBackup 3.2, Jumbo patch 363
Solaris 2.6

Thanks,
Kathy