Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] To ensure overwrites

2000-11-09 12:43:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] To ensure overwrites
From: Joshua Fielden jfielden AT excitecorp DOT com
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:43:57 -0800
On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 09:21:10AM -0800, W. Curtis Preston spake unto the
multitudes:

> Ugh.  What a mess this weird requirement is imposing on you.  What you
> could do is suspend the tapes after a night's backups.  That way, the tapes
> will not get appended to the next day.  Then you could relabel them.
>
> The others are right. Relabeling is only minimal protection against a
> hacker.  Someone who REALLY knew what they were doing could get past your
> label.  But then they would encounter a multiplexed image from NetBackup
> that they would need to decipher.  I'd like to see someone read a
> multiplexed image from NetBackup w/o NetBackup.  Sure -- it's
> possible.  NetBackup does it when they import tapes.  The chances of a
> hacker having the knowledge to pull it off?  Pretty small, IMHO.  (If it's
> that important, you could also encrypt the data going to the tape.)

There is not anything wierd about it in this day-and-age. We have 33mm people's
e-mail on our hard drives (http://inbox.excite.com), and we don't know if
Johnny's into warez or not, and we don't want to. We have a business
requirement to degauss the backups from this product (currently being backed up
on a SONY petasite, so speed is less of an issue) upon return from off-site in
order to avoid supoenas. If we degauss all tapes all the time as a rule, they
can't say we destroyed evidence when theirs was destroyed as point-of-course.
Sometimes the only winning move is not to play, and a case between the FBI and
some guy who happens to have some mail through our service is such a time. And
I _know_ the FBI has those sorts of hackers.

I also know we're not the only ISP by far who does this, or is thinking of
doing this...
--
"Any man page that includes the words "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. BEWARE OF DOG.
SLIPPERY WHEN WET" means trouble" - Michael Lucas