Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup indexes missing

2000-11-07 14:00:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup indexes missing
From: McMurphy, Tim Tim.McMurphy AT cdcgy DOT com
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:00:40 -0700
Sounds vaguely familiar but you won't like the answer :(

One person on this list suggested trying "bpimage -index <n> -client <name>"
but I haven't had the time yet.

One thing to check is to see if the files are actually still there or did
netbackup delete them.

In Netbackup there are 2 files created when you scan a tape or do a backup.
 They are put in a directory:

  /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<servername>/xxxxxxxxxx

The files are <class_name_xxxxxxxxxx> and <class_name_xxxxxxxxxx.f> (the .f
file being the big one). In the <class_name_xxxxxxxxxx> file there is a
NUM_FILES which shows 0 but changing it to 960,000 doesn't work because you
also need to update the files in the directory

 /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/<servername>/INDEX

We had a case with Veritas (100-100-689) and here is the basics.
Problem:
 One of our Netware servers' backups didn't register in the database. When
we went to do a restore the image was not listed as one we could choose
from. The other servers were fine. The backup had run without any errors and
had backed up 9 DLTs worth of files. The server in question had 110
gigabytes and 1 million files on it. It was spread across 2 DLT tapes, no
MPX.

 When we did the phase 1 import there were no problems. When we did the
phase 2 import (where it reads the tape and re-creates the database file) it
would run for 15 hours (about 8 hours a tape) and then fail with a
"Unexpected EOF" media error. Ok tapes do go bad and when we looked at the
file it had created up to that point (160 meg uncompressed) it listed more
than 960,000
files. Well 96% is acceptable but when we went into the Xwindow GUI to do a
restore there was still nothing showing.

 After talking to Veritas support for more than a week we were finally told
"sorry but that is the way the system is designed". If there are any errors
on the tape Netbackup won't use any of the info on any tape in the set!