Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] The NetBackup FAQ has been updated.

2000-10-29 01:20:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] The NetBackup FAQ has been updated.
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT backupcentral DOT com
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 23:20:57 -0700
The NetBackup FAQ has been updated.  HTML AND TEXT versions are both
available at:

http://www.backupcentral.com/netbackup-faq.html

DIFFERENCES

If you're interested in the differences between this and the last
version of the faq, here is a diff:

<    Q: Can I search the archive of this mailing list?
<
<    Yes.  Therre is a search engine for the archive at
<    [8]http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/search.html.
<
224c218
<    [9]news://news.support.veritas.com for Veritas newsgroups. There are
---
 >    [8]news://news.support.veritas.com for Veritas newsgroups. There are
230,232c224,225
<    A: Yes, visit
<    [10]http://seer.support.veritas.com/search/techsearch.asp to access
<    Veritas free tech database.
---
 >    A: Yes, visit [9]http://seer.support.veritas.com/search/techsearch.asp
 >    to access Veritas free tech database.
236c229
<    A: Visit [11]ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/Products/ for
---
 >    A: Visit [10]ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/Products/ for
243c236
<    [12]http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/NETBACKUP/204740.htm for
---
 >    [11]http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/NETBACKUP/204740.htm for
250c243
<    [13]http://seer.support.veritas.com/email_forms/email_support.asp and
---
 >    [12]http://seer.support.veritas.com/email_forms/email_support.asp and
259c252
<                             [14]Previous Section
---
 >                             [13]Previous Section
261c254
<                            [15]Table of Contents
---
 >                            [14]Table of Contents
263c256
<                               [16]Next Section
---
 >                               [15]Next Section
270c263
<    4. mailto:vox AT veritas DOT com
---
 >    4. mailto://vox AT veritas DOT com/
274,282c267,274
<    8. http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/search.html
<    9. news://news.support.veritas.com/
<   10. http://seer.support.veritas.com/search/techsearch.asp
<   11. ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/Products/
<   12. http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/NETBACKUP/204740.htm
<   13. http://seer.support.veritas.com/email_forms/email_support.asp
<   14. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-0.html
<   15. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq.html
<   16. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-2.html
---
 >    8. news://news.support.veritas.com/
 >    9. http://seer.support.veritas.com/search/techsearch.asp
 >   10. ftp://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/Products/
 >   11. http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/NETBACKUP/204740.htm
 >   12. http://seer.support.veritas.com/email_forms/email_support.asp
 >   13. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-0.html
 >   14. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq.html
 >   15. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-2.html
310,317d301
<    There is a product available for NetBackup users called Intelligent
<    Disaster Recovery (IDR) that completely automates this process.  IDR
<    is available for NT in 3.4, and Veritas intends to have support for
<    popular Unix platforms in 4.1 (3Q 2001).
<
<    This is referred to as a bare metal recovery.  This topic is covered
<    in some detail in [2]Unix Backup & Recovery.
<
323c307
<    nbts_nt.pdf for UNIX and NT respectively. Read this before you need to
---
 >    nbts_nt.pdf for UNIX and NT respectively. Read this BEFORE you need to
326c310
<                             [3]Previous Section
---
 >                             [2]Previous Section
328c312
<                             [4]Table of Contents
---
 >                             [3]Table of Contents
330c314
<                               [5]Next Section
---
 >                               [4]Next Section
335,338c319,321
<    2. http://www.backupcentral.com/thebook.html
<    3. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-9.html
<    4. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq.html
<    5. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-11.html
---
 >    2. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-9.html
 >    3. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq.html
 >    4. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-11.html
358,363d340
<    Q: How do I start the administrative GUI?
<
<    A: To start the Java GUI, run the command jnbSA.  The NT GUI can be
<    selected from the Start Menu.  The xpbpadm GUI can be started from
<    xnb, or by itself.
<
369,379c346,349
<    OS level. This can be done with xdevadm, the Java GUI, or the NT GUI.
<
<    If using xdevadm, select Add Robot from the Robot dialog menu.
<
<    If using the Java or NT GUIs, start Media and Device Management and
<    click on the Media Manager that you wish to add the robot to and
<    select New | Robot from the Actions dialog menu.
<
<    Select the appropriate robot type by consulting the Release Notes
<    document Supported Peripherals (release_notes.pdf). Specify a unique
<    robot number that will not be used within the rest of the
---
 >    OS level. Start xdevadm and select Add Robot from the Robot dialog
 >    menu. Select the appropriate robot type by consulting the Release
 >    Notes document Supported Peripherals (release_notes.pdf). Specify a
 >    unique robot number that will not be used within the rest of the
385,393c355,359
<    Device Configuration Guide for additional details.
<
<    The JAVA and NT GUIs will then prompt you to restart the media manager
<    daemon, and do it for you automatically.  If you are using xdevadm,
<    you must restart the media manager daemon (ltid) when you are ready
<    for NetBackup to see the robot. To do this, use the command
<    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/stopltid followed by /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/ltid
<    to restart it. Any backups that are in progress at that time may
<    fail.
---
 >    Device Configuration Guide for additional details. When you are ready
 >    for NetBackup to see the robot, you must restart the media manager
 >    daemon (ltid) by using the command /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/stopltid
 >    followed by /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/ltid to restart it. Any backups that
 >    are in progress at that time may fail.
400,426c366,382
<    OS level. Then you can use xdevadm, or the JAVA or NT GUIs.
<
<    If using xdevadm, select Add Drive from the Drives dialog menu.
<
<    If using the Java or NT GUIs, start Media and Device Management and
<    click on the Media Manager to which youre adding the drive.  Select
<    New | Drive from the Actions dialog menu.
<
<    Select the appropriate drive type and give it a drive index number
<    that will be unique for the media server the drive is connected to as
<    well as a drive name which should be unique for the organization. If
<    on Unix, specify the no-rewind device file for the device using the
<    Berkley style close and compression (if available). If using Solaris,
<    verify that the type of drive you are using is in the st.conf file.
<    Consult the Media Manager Device Configuration Guide for details. If
<    the drive and OS do not have native tape alert cleaning features
<    (generally Exabyte 8900 Mammoths, Quantum and Tandberg DLT2/4/7000s,
<    Sony AIT SDX-300Cs, STK ½ inch cartridge, and STK 9840s) select a
<    frequency based cleaning routine (in hours). Set the robot type and
<    robot number that is feeding the drive media.
<
<    The JAVA and NT GUIs will then prompt you to restart the media manager
<    daemon, and do it for you automatically.  If you are using xdevadm,
<    you must restart the media manager daemon (ltid) when you are ready
<    for NetBackup to see the robot. To do this, use the command
<    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/stopltid followed by /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/ltid
<    to restart it. Any backups that are in progress at that time may fail.
---
 >    OS level. Start xdevadm and select Add Drive from the Drives dialog
 >    menu. Select the appropriate drive type and give it a drive index
 >    number that will be unique for the media server the drive is connected
 >    to as well as a drive name which should be unique for the
 >    organization. Specify the no-rewind device file for the device using
 >    the Berkley style close and compression (if available). Verify that
 >    the type of drive you are using is in the st.conf file. Consult the
 >    Media Manager Device Configuration Guide for details. If the drive and
 >    OS do not have native tape alert cleaning features (generally Exabyte
 >    8900 Mammoths, Quantum and Tandberg DLT2/4/7000s, Sony AIT SDX-300Cs,
 >    STK ½ inch cartridge, and STK 9840s) select a frequency based cleaning
 >    routine (in hours). Set the robot type and robot number that is
 >    feeding the drive media. When you are ready for NetBackup to see the
 >    drive, you must restart the media manager daemon (ltid) by using the
 >    command /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/stopltid followed by
 >    /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/ltid to restart it. Any backups that are in
 >    progress at that time may fail.
430,432c386
<    A: You can use vmoprcmd or the device manager GUI. (Select Device
<    Manager from the NT or JAVA GUIs, or from the xnb GUI.) See the man
<    page for details on vmoprcmd.
---
 >    A: Use the vmoprcmd(1M). See the man page for details.
446,452c400,403
<    A: You can do this with any of the GUIs, or with vmpool.  If using the
<    JAVA or NT GUIs, select the Actions menu under Media and Device
<    Management, select New | Volume Pool.  If using xdevadm, select the
<    Actions menu, and select New | Volume Pool. Enter the pool name, the
<    NetBackup server hostname, the user and group allowed to access the
<    pool (use "ANY" for all users, and "NONE" for no groups), and a
<    description of the pool.
---
 >    A: Using the Actions menu under xvmadm, select New | Volume Pool.
 >    Enter the pool name, the NetBackup server hostname, the user and group
 >    allowed to access the pool (use ANY for all users, and NONE for no
 >    groups), and a description of the pool.
457,462c408,409
<    deleted. If using the JAVA or NT GUIs, select the Actions menu under
<    Media and Device Management, click on the volume pool to be deleted
<    and make sure there are no volumes assigned, then select Actions |
<    Delete..  If using xvmadm, select the volume pool to be deleted, then
<    select Action | Delete from the main xvmadm window.  This can also be
<    done with the  vmpool command.
---
 >    deleted. Select from the main xvmadm window the volume pool to be
 >    deleted, then select Action | Delete.
487,496c434,438
<    A: If using the Java or NT GUIs, start Media and Device Management,
<    click on the Media Manager that hosts the robot you wish to
<    inventory.   Then select Inventory Robot from the Actions menu.  Then
<    select the robot on the host you wish to inventory and select Show
<    contents of robot and Start to obtain an inventory.  If using xvmadm,
<    select Robots | Use Inventory to Update Volume Information Then select
<    the robot on the host you wish to inventory and select Show Robot
<    Contents to obtain an inventory. Note that ACS and TLM type libraries
<    are not managed by NetBackup and you cannot inventory through this
<    method.  This can also be done with vmupdate.
---
 >    A: Using xvmadm, select Robots | Use Inventory to Update Volume
 >    Information Then select the robot on the host you wish to inventory
 >    and select Show Robot Contents to obtain an inventory. Note that ACS
 >    and TLM type libraries are not managed by NetBackup and you cannot
 >    inventory through this method.
500c442
<    A: Follow the steps outlined to inventory a library except you should
---
 >    A: follow the steps outlined to inventory a library except you should
507,514c449,453
<    A: If you are using barcodes with your library, you can do this
<    automatically.  If using the JAVA or NT GUIs, then start Media and
<    Device Management, select Perform volume configuration update button
<    found under Actions | Inventory robot.  If you are using xvmadm, then
<    select the Update Volume Configuration button found under Robots | Use
<    Inventory to Update Volume Information If you are not using barcodes,
<    then you must physically move the media to the position indicated by
<    the media volume configuration. This can also be done with vmupdate.
---
 >    A: If you are using barcodes with your library, then select the Update
 >    Volume Configuration button found under Robots | Use Inventory to
 >    Update Volume Information If you are not using barcodes, then you must
 >    physically move the media to the position indicated by the media
 >    volume configuration.
518,522c457,460
<    A: Normally, NetBackup will label tapes as it needs to.  If you wish
<    to label tapes to get rid of old headers or some other reason, utilize
<    multiple ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE directives in bp.conf file to overwrite
<    previously used media of a recognized type (ANSI, AOS/VS, CPIO, DBR,
<    MTF1, or TAR). Use the bplabel command to write a label.
---
 >    A: If necessary utilize multiple ALLOW_MEDIA_OVERWRITE directives in
 >    bp.conf file to overwrite previously used media of a recognized type
 >    (ANSI, AOS/VS, CPIO, DBR, MTF1, or TAR). Use the bplabel(1M) command
 >    to write a label.
537,540c475,478
<    0 ev media id, move the old media out of the library, delete the media
<    from the NetBackup media database, insert new media with identical
<    characteristics including the media ID. The second method will result
<    in data loss if the tape is not already expired.
---
 >    0 ev <media id>, move the old media out of the library, delete the
 >    media from the NetBackup media database, insert new media with
 >    identical characteristics including the media ID. The second method
 >    will result in data loss if the tape is not already expired.
550,551c488,489
<    A: Utilize the command bpexpdate d 0 ev media id to force recycling of
<    your media. Normally, the media will expire and recycle itself.
---
 >    A: Utilize the command bpexpdate d 0 ev <media id> to force recycling
 >    of your media. Normally, the media will expire and recycle itself.
558c496
<    vmchange command.  You can also do this in the media manager GUIs.
---
 >    vmchange(1M) command.
562,570c500,504
<    A: Physically place the volume in the library. If using the Java or NT
<    GUIs, start Media and Device Management, select Actions | Inventory
<    Robot. Select the device host and robot you wish to inventory.  Next
<    select the Perform volume configuration update button.  If using
<    xvmadm, select Robots | Use Inventory to Update Volume Information
<    Then select the Update Volume Configuration button. If the tapes have
<    barcodes, they will be read. If they do not, then you will be prompted
<    for a media id to enter. There is a six character limit.  You can also
<    do this with vmupdate.
---
 >    A: Physically place the volume in the library. Then using xvmadm,
 >    select Robots | Use Inventory to Update Volume Information Then select
 >    the Update Volume Configuration button. If the tapes have barcodes,
 >    they will be read. If they do not, then you will be prompted for a
 >    media id to enter. There is a six character limit.
582,603c516,525
<    A: If using the Java or NT GUIs, start Backup Policy Management, click
<    on the Master Server you wish to manage.  Select Edit| New.  If using
<    xbpadm, select Actions | New Class. Specify a name describing the
<    common characteristic of systems in this class. You may then either
<    copy the characteristics from an existing class or create it from one
<    of the available class types. Specify the Class Type, the Storage Unit
<    you wish to use, as well as the Volume Pool. You may specify the
<    Maximum number of Jobs for that class, and may set the Class Priority
<    and a Keyword phrase to associate with the class. Pick the options you
<    wish to use and then proceed to add the clients, schedules, and files
<    you want. Once you are satisfied with the class, make it active and
<    apply.  You will also need to add clients, schedules, and a file list
<    to this class.
<
<    Q: How do I copy a class?
<
<    A: If using the Java or NT GUIs, start Backup Policy Management, click
<    on the Master Server you wish to manage, then right-click on the Class
<    you wish to copy.  Select Copy then specify a name for the copy in the
<    New class box.  Edit any of the class characteristics you wish to
<    change, then click OK.  If desired, modify the schedules, files, or
<    clients as necessary.
---
 >    A: Using xbpadm, select Actions | New Class. Specify a name describing
 >    the common characteristic of systems in this class. You may then
 >    either copy the characteristics from an existing class or create it
 >    from one of the available class types. Specify the Class Type, the
 >    Storage Unit you wish to use, as well as the Volume Pool. You may
 >    specify the Maximum number of Jobs for that class, and may set the
 >    Class Priority and a Keyword phrase to associate with the class. Pick
 >    the options you wish to use and then proceed to add the clients,
 >    schedules, and files you want. Once you are satisfied with the class,
 >    make it active and apply.
607,620c529,531
<    A: If using the Java or NT GUIs, start Backup Policy Management.  To
<    change basic class attributes (such as Multiplexing, Class Storage
<    Unit, etc.), click on the Master Server you wish to manage, then
<    select the class you wish to modify, right click, and choose Change.
<    Select the attribute(s) you wish to change and apply.   If you wish to
<    change schedules, files, or clients, click on the + symbol next to the
<    desired class.  Then click on the area below the class you wish to
<    change (Schedules, Files, or Clients).  The existing items will
<    display in the right window.  If you wish to change/delete an existing
<    item, right-click on the specific item you wish to change/delete, and
<    select Change or Delete as appropriate.  Change the desired
<    attribute(s) and select OK.  If using xbpadm, select the class you
<    wish to modify, right click and choose Change Class. Select the
<    attribute you wish to change and apply.
---
 >    A: Using xbpadm, select the class you wish to modify, right click and
 >    choose Change Class. Select the attribute you wish to change and
 >    apply.
624,628c535,536
<    A: If using the Java or NT GUIs, start Backup Policy Management, click
<    on the Master Server you wish to manage, then select the class you
<    wish to delete, right click, and choose Delete. If using xbpadm,
<    select the class you wish to delete, right click, and choose Delete
<    Class.
---
 >    A: Using xbpadm, select the class you wish to delete, right click, and
 >    choose Delete Class.
638,639c546,547
<    and whether or not to multiplex. You also specify the start time and
<    window for the backup schedule.
---
 >    and whether or not to multiplex. Oh yeah, you also specify the start
 >    time and window for the backup schedule.
643,668c551,556
<    A: This can be done with any NetBackup GUI.
<
<    If using the Java or NT GUIs, use Backup Policy Management click on
<    the Master Server you wish to manage, then click on the + sign for the
<    class you wish to work on, and right-click Schedules and select New.
<    Give the schedule a meaningful name and specify the frequency period
<    and what level of multiplexing (if any) to allow.  Next specify the
<    type of backup this schedule is for, how long to retain the backups,
<    and specify whether or not you wish to override the default storage
<    unit or volume pool.  Finally, you should specify what days of the
<    week you wish to do backups, specifying the start time and the
<    duration of the backup window for starting backup jobs in the class.
<    When satisfied with the settings, click OK.  If you wish to copy an
<    existing schedule, locate the class that contains the schedule you
<    wish to copy.  Click the + symbol next to the class, then click on
<    Schedules below that class. The individual schedules will display in
<    the right window.  Right-click on the desired schedule and select
<    Copy.  Select the name for the new schedule and what class it should
<    be added to.  Make any changes desired in the schedule and click OK.
<
<    If using xbpadm, select the class you wish to work on, then select the
<    schedule tab/button. Select New, and either copy the schedule from an
<    existing class or give it a name and select okay. At that point you
<    will have to specify whether or not you wish to override the default
<    storage unit or volume pool. You will need to specify what type of
<    this schedule is for as well as the retention period, frequency, and
---
 >    A: Select the class you wish to work on, then select the schedule
 >    tab/button. Select New, and either copy the schedule from an existing
 >    class or give it a name and select okay. At that point you will have
 >    to specify whether or not you wish to override the default storage
 >    unit or volume pool. You will need to specify what type of this
 >    schedule is for as well as the retention period, frequency, and
687,710c575,583
<    A: You add clients to a class. If using the Java or NT GUIs, start the
<    Backup Policy Management, click on the Master Server you wish to
<    manage, click on the + symbol next to the class you wish to add the
<    client to, right-click on Class and right-click on Clients below the
<    class and select New.  You will need to specify the type of hardware
<    and OS that the client is as well as the name of the client.  If this
<    is a new client, you can install the client software from the Master
<    Server.  This can be done from a trusted NT system to other NT
<    systems, or from a Unix server that can rsh to other Unix clients. To
<    do this, make sure rsh (or the trust) is enabled from the NetBackup
<    server to the NetBackup client then right-click on the Master Server
<    and select Install UNIX Client Software.  Set the clients to be
<    installed and click the Install Client Software button.  If rsh (or a
<    trust) is not enabled,  then you will need to use an alternate method,
<    such as /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_client_files ftp clientname
<    username. If using xbpadm, select the class you wish to add the client
<    to, and right click and select Change Class. Within the class dialog
<    box, select the clients button, and select New. You will need to
<    specify the type of hardware and OS that the client is as well as the
<    name of the client. You may add multiple clients of the same hardware
<    and OS at a time. You may also install the client software by
<    selecting the button as long as rsh is enabled from the NetBackup
<    server to the NetBackup client. If it is not, then you will need to
<    use an alternate method such as by the command
---
 >    A: You add clients to a class. Using xbpadm, select the class you wish
 >    to add the client to, and right click and select Change Class. Within
 >    the class dialog box, select the clients button, and select New. You
 >    will need to specify the type of hardware and OS that the client is as
 >    well as the name of the client. You may add multiple clients of the
 >    same hardware and OS at a time. You may also install the client
 >    software by selecting the button as long as rsh is enabled from the
 >    NetBackup server to the NetBackup client. If it is not, then you will
 >    need to use an alternate method such as by the command
716,732c589,592
<    A: If using the Java or NT GUIs, start Backup Policy Management, click
<    on the Master Server you wish to manage then click the + symbol next
<    to the class that contains the client you wish to delete.  Click on
<    Client and the clients will display in the right window.  Right-click
<    on the client you wish to delete and select Delete.  If using xbpadm,
<    select the class you wish to delete the client from, and right click
<    and select Change Class. Within the class dialog box, select the
<    clients button. Select the clients you wish to delete and select
<    Delete.
<
<    Q: How do I merge two media servers?
<
<    Find out all the tapes assigned to the old slave server, run bpmedia
<    -movedb on all of them to move them to the new media server.  You will
<    need both the old server and the new server up running during this
<    command.
<
---
 >    A: Using xbpadm, select the class you wish to delete the client from,
 >    and right click and select Change Class. Within the class dialog box,
 >    select the clients button. Select the clients you wish to delete and
 >    select Delete.
760,762c620,621
<    A: NetBackup is located under /usr/openv/netbackup on Unix, or
<    <install_dir>\Veritas\NetBackup on NT. Media Manager is located under
<    /usr/openv/volmgr, or <install_dir>\Veritas\VolMgr on NT.
---
 >    A: NetBackup is located under /usr/openv/netbackup. Media Manager is
 >    located under /usr/openv/volmgr.
788,793d646
<    Q: How do I start the Backup and Restore GUI?
<
<    A: If using the Java GUI, run jbpSA, or select Backup and Restore from
<    the main jnbSA GUI.  If using NT, select it from the main NT GUI.  If
<    on Unix, you can run xbp.
<
796,823c649,660
<    A: This can be done with any of the GUIs.
<
<    If using the Java or NT GUI, select the Backup and Restore GUI and
<    click on the Backup Files tab.  Verify/set your server.  In the left
<    browse window, expand the directory tree until you get to the
<    directory that you want to backup (or the directory that contains the
<    file(s) you want to backup).  Click on the small dot next to the
<    directory to backup the whole directory.  If you wish to backup
<    certain files within the directory, click on the directory name in the
<    left window then select the small dot next to the file(s) you want to
<    backup in the right browse window.  When all files have been selected,
<    click Backup in the lower-right corner.  If you desire to have a
<    keyword phrase, type it into the window that pops up, then click Start
<    Backup. .  You may check progress of the backup by clicking on the
<    Task Progress tab.
<
<    If using the xbp GUI, go to File | Configuration and verify/set your
<    server and client. Go to File | Browse file system (backup or
<    archive). Set the "Directory to Search" to be the base directory of
<    what you are interested in backing up to media. Set an appropriate
<    "Directory Depth" so that you can see the directory tree you are
<    interested in. Select the files and directories that you want to
<    backup. Select Backup | Backup Selected Files and Directories. Verify
<    the files and directories you are going to backup. Select a phrase or
<    mnemonic that will identify the backup when you wish to find it later.
<    Select a location for writing the progress log. Select OK, and the
<    backup will be initiated. You may check progress of the log file by
<    using tail f or by using the GUI.
---
 >    A: Start the xbp user interface. Go to File | Configuration and
 >    verify/set your server and client. Go to File | Browse file system
 >    (backup or archive). Set the "Directory to Search" to be the base
 >    directory of what you are interested in backing up to media. Set an
 >    appropriate "Directory Depth" so that you can see the directory tree
 >    you are interested in. Select the files and directories that you want
 >    to backup. Select Backup | Backup Selected Files and Directories.
 >    Verify the files and directories you are going to backup. Select a
 >    phrase or mnemonic that will identify the backup when you wish to find
 >    it later. Select a location for writing the progress log. Select OK,
 >    and the backup will be initiated. You may check progress of the log
 >    file by using "tail f" or by using the GUI.
827,849c664,670
<    A: This can be done with any of the GUIs.
<
<    If using the Java or NT GUIs, select Backup and Restore GUI and click
<    on the Backup Files tab.  Verify/set your server.  In the left browse
<    window, expand the directory tree until you get to the directory that
<    you want to backup (or the directory that contains the file(s) you
<    want to backup).  Click on the small dot next to the directory to
<    backup the whole directory.  If you wish to backup certain files
<    within the directory, click on the directory name in the left window
<    then select the small dot next to the file(s) you want to backup in
<    the right browse window.  When all files have been selected, click
<    Backup in the lower-right corner.  Select the Archive files box.  If
<    you desire to have a keyword phrase, type it into the window that pops
<    up, then click Start Backup.   You may check progress of the archive
<    by clicking on the Task Progress tab.
<
<    If using the xbp GUI, go to File | Configuration and verify/set your
<    server and client. Go to File | Browse file system (backup or
<    archive). Set the "Directory to Search" to be the base directory of
<    what you are interested in archiving to media. Set an appropriate
<    "Directory Depth" so that you can see the directory tree you are
<    interested in. Select the files and directories that you want to
<    archive. Select Backup | Archive Selected Files and Directories.
---
 >    A: Start the xbp user interface. Go to File | Configuration and
 >    verify/set your server and client. Go to File | Browse file system
 >    (backup or archive). Set the "Directory to Search" to be the base
 >    directory of what you are interested in archiving to media. Set an
 >    appropriate "Directory Depth" so that you can see the directory tree
 >    you are interested in. Select the files and directories that you want
 >    to archive. Select Backup | Archive Selected Files and Directories.
854,857c675,676
<    file by using "tail f" or by using the GUI.
<
<    Your archived files will be deleted from disk after they are written
<    to media.
---
 >    file by using "tail f" or by using the GUI. Your archived files will
 >    be deleted from disk as they are written to media.
861,889c680
<    A: This can be done with any of the GUIs.
<
<    If using the JAVA or NT GUIs, select Backup and Restore.  Click on the
<    Restore Files tab.  Verify/set the server, source client, type of
<    client, and destination client.  Note that restoring to a different
<    client is usually best done from the Master Server rather than from a
<    client.  Set the source of the backup and then choose the date range
<    you wish to search.  If the backup used a keyword phrase, complete the
<    Keyword phrase to search for box.  Set the Browse directory to the
<    base directory of the file(s) youre interested in restoring.  Click on
<    the Update File List button.  This should result in a directory
<    structure that meets your search criteria showing in the lower left
<    window.  Expand the directory structure as necessary to locate the
<    directory you wish to restore from.  If you want to restore the whole
<    directory, click the small circle next to the directory name.  If you
<    wish to restore files within the directory, click on the directory
<    name and a list of files will appear in the right window.  Click on
<    the small circle next to the files you wish to restore.  When all the
<    files you wish to restore are selected, click on the Restore button.
<    If you wish to restore the files to an alternate path, choose the
<    appropriate selection (Restore everything to a different location or
<    Restore individual directories and files to different locations) and
<    set the source and destination paths.  Set whether or not you want the
<    restore to overwrite existing files and whether or not the restore
<    should cross mount points.  Once the selections are correct, click on
<    the Start Restore button.  You may check progress of the archive by
<    clicking on the Task Progress tab.
<
<    If using the xbp user interface. Go to File | Configuration and
---
 >    A: Start the xbp user interface. Go to File | Configuration and
909c700
<    A: Use the bplist command. See the man page for details
---
 >    A: Use the bplist(1M) command. See the man page for details
934,935c725,726
<    A: On Unix, examine the file /usr/openv/netbackup/version for version
<    and release date information.  On NT, use the Help | About tab.
---
 >    A: Examine the file /usr/openv/netbackup/version for version and
 >    release date information.
939,940c730,731
<    A: On Unix, examine the file /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version for
<    client versioning information. On NT, use the Help | About tab.
---
 >    A: Examine the file /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version for client
 >    versioning information.
944,947c735,738
<    A: ON Unix server(s), examine /usr/openv/patch/patch.history file for
<    UNIX systems. Examine the <install_dir>:\veritas\patch\History.Log
<    file for NT systems. For the clients, examine the version file for the
<    latest patch.
---
 >    A: For the server(s), examine /usr/openv/patch/patch.history file for
 >    UNIX systems. Examine the <drive>:\veritas\patch\History.Log file for
 >    NT systems. For the clients, examine the
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version file for the latest patch.
951,952c742
<    A: On Unix servers, examine the file /usr/openv/volmgr/version. On NT
<    servers, use the Help | About tab.
---
 >    A: Examine the file /usr/openv/volmgr/version.
956,957c746,747
<    A: On Solaris, you can run the command /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sgscan v.
<    The last column of output will be the firmware level.
---
 >    A: On Solars, you can run the command "/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/sgscan
 >    v". The last column of output will be the firmware level.
993c783
<    may call 650.318.4265 or email [2]license AT veritas DOT com.
---
 >    may call 650.318.4265 or email [2]mailto://license AT veritas DOT com.
1023c813
<    2. mailto:license AT veritas DOT com
---
 >    2. mailto://license AT veritas DOT com/
1070c860,861
<    backup.
---
 >    backup. Respectively, they are equivalent to a level 1 and level 9
 >    dump.
1115,1117c906,910
<    A: [3]Unix Backup & Recovery, written by W. Curtis Preston, published
<    by OReilly & Associates, is recommended. Other books about storage and
<    backups can be found at [4]Backup Central.
---
 >    A: Unix Backup & Recovery, written by W. Curtis Preston, published by
 >    OReilly & Associates, ISBN 1-56592-642-0 is recommended. Windows NT
 >    Backup & Restore, written by Jody Leber and Robert Denn, published by
 >    OReilly & Associates, ISBN 1-56592-272-7 is also recommended.  Other
 >    books about storage and backups can be found at [3]Backup Central.
1119c912
<                             [5]Previous Section
---
 >                             [4]Previous Section
1121c914
<                             [6]Table of Contents
---
 >                             [5]Table of Contents
1123c916
<                               [7]Next Section
---
 >                               [6]Next Section
1129,1133c922,925
<    3. http://www.backupcentral.com/thebook.html
<    4. http://www.backupcentral.com/toc-storage-books.html
<    5. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-4.html
<    6. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq.html
<    7. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-6.html
---
 >    3. http://www.backupcentral.com/toc-storage-books.html
 >    4. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-4.html
 >    5. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq.html
 >    6. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-6.html
1148,1151c940,942
<    A: On both the server and the client, /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf on
<    Unix (or <install_dir>\Veritas\NetBackup\bp.conf on NT) is the primary
<    configuration file for NetBackup. Each system user can have his own
<    $HOME/bp.conf file as well.
---
 >    A: On both the server and the client, /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf is
 >    the primary configuration file for NetBackup. Each system user can
 >    have his own $HOME/bp.conf file as well.
1226,1227c1017
<    Global attributes.  You can also set this value individually per
<    client using the bpclient command.
---
 >    Global attributes.
1240,1241c1030,1031
<    A: /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf or <install_dir>\Veritas\volmgr\vm.conf
<    is the primary configuration file for Media Manager.
---
 >    A: /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf is the primary configuration file for
 >    Media Manager.
1245,1246c1035,1036
<    A: On Unix clients, you create an exclude_list on the client. You may
<    exclude globally, or by class and/or schedule.
---
 >    A: Create an exclude_list on the client. You may exclude globally, or
 >    by class and/or schedule.
1249,1254c1039
<    You may use wildcards.  On Microsoft Windows clients, specify exclude
<    and include lists in the NetBackup Configuration dialog box in the
<    user interface on the client. To open this dialog box, start the user
<    interface on the client and click Configure on the Actions menu. Then,
<    go to the Exclude List or Include list tab. For further instructions,
<    see the NetBackup users guide for the client.
---
 >    You may use wildcards.
1260,1264c1045,1053
<    such as core files, the cdrom partition, and the /tmp partition.
<    Remember that the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/ directory can grow at an
<    enormous rate if bpdbm is logging.  On both NT and Unix systems, you
<    should also exclude database files that you are backing up by other
<    means (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, etc.).
---
 >    such as core files, the cdrom partition, and the /tmp partition. On
 >    the NetBackup server, you should exclude /usr/openv/netbackup/db/ and
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/ directories. On media servers (servers
 >    connected to backup devices), you should also exclude
 >    /usr/openv/volmgr/database. This is because the volmgr/database
 >    directory and the netbackup/db directory should be backed up using
 >    either the command line option bpbackupdb or via the xbpadm GUI. The
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/ directory can grow at an enormous rate if
 >    bpdbm is logging.
1275,1314c1064,1073
<    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies. (It's bpstart_notify.bat and
<    bpend_notify.bat on NT.)  Copy them into the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin
<    directory (or <install_dir>\Veritas\NetBackup\bin on NT), and add the
<    commands you want to run in the appropriate places in the script. You
<    may customize the scripts to the class and schedule level by naming
<    them bpstart_<start|end>[.<classname>[.<schedulename>]] if you
<    desire.  In 3.2 and 3.4, there is a problem with bpstart_notify and
<    bpend_notify being used with multistreaming.  It causes the
<    bpstart/bpend script to run once for each filesystem.  The easy fix
<    for this is to disable multistreaming on classes that you need to run
<    bpstart_notify and bpend_notify scripts.  Collective Technologies has
<    developed a work around for this problem on Unix clients.  If you'd
<    like a copy, send an email to [2]Curtis.
<
<    Q: How do I back up through a firewall?
<
<    This question is discussed in detail in the following technote:
<    [3]http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/netbackup/187321.htm.  Short
<    answer: open up a bunch of ports! ;)  Version 4.1 is allegedly going
<    to have more "native" support for firewalls. Rob Worman pointed out
<    that the above page doesn't point out that the "allow inbound 512-1024
<    connections" can be modified by use of the ALLOW_NON_RESERVED_PORTS
<    bp.conf option.
<
<    Q: What registry settings should I make to NT servers in order for the
<    OTM to work correctly?
<
<    Set
<    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\OT
<    M_Cache_Size_Max to 0.  See also:
<    [4]http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/netbackfornt/180011.htm
<    [5]http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/netbackfornt/188500.htm
<    [6]http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/netbackfornt/180017.htm
<
<    Q: I have a server with multiple interfaces.  How do I get NetBackup
<    traffic to go through the both interfaces?
<
<    Steve Bazinet contributed this:
<
<    He had three clients, each with a different inter
---
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies. Copy them into the
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin directory, and add the commands you want to
 >    run in the appropriate places in the script. You may customize the
 >    scripts to the class and schedule level by naming them
 >    bpstart_<start|end>[.<classname>[.<schedulename>]] if you desire.  In
 >    3.2 and 3.4, there is a problem with bpstart_notify and bpend_notify
 >    being used with multistreaming.  It causes the bpstart/bpend script to
 >    run once for each filesystem.  Collective Technologies has developed a
 >    work around for this problem.  If you'd like a copy, send an email to
 >    [2]Curtis.
1316,1329c1075
<    In the master's bp.conf file:
<
<    SERVER=master-neta
<    SERVER=master-netb
<    SERVER=master-netc
<
<    One entry for each NIC in the box.
<
<    For the clients on NETA - SERVER=master-neta
<    For the clients on NETB - SERVER=master-netb
<    For the clients on NETC - SERVER=master-netc
<
<
<                             [7]Previous Section
---
 >                             [3]Previous Section
1331c1077
<                             [8]Table of Contents
---
 >                             [4]Table of Contents
1333c1079
<                               [9]Next Section
---
 >                               [5]Next Section
1339,1345c1085,1087
<    3. http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/netbackup/187321.htm
<    4. http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/netbackfornt/180011.htm
<    5. http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/netbackfornt/188500.htm
<    6. http://seer.support.veritas.com/tnotes/netbackfornt/180017.htm
<    7. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-5.html
<    8. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq.html
<    9. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-7.html
---
 >    3. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-5.html
 >    4. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq.html
 >    5. file://localhost/home/curtis/backupcentral-www/netbackup-faq-7.html
1360c1102
<    A: Use the command bpps -a.
---
 >    A: use the command /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -a.
1364,1372c1106,1107
<    A: bpps -a will also work, or you can use vmps.
<
<    Q: How do I make sure that all NetBackup processes are completely shut
<    down?
<
<    If doing the standard stop for Netbackup on Unix
<    (/etc/rc0.d/K77netbackup) leaves processes running, then run the
<    script bp.kill_all in the goodies directory. (Thanks to Tim McMurphy
<    for this addition.)
---
 >    A: Use the command /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/vmps -a command.
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpps -a will also work.
1376,1378c1111,1113
<    A: Run the command $NETBACKUP/goodies/available_media. This will give
<    a fairly comprehensive report of you tape status. You may also check
<    xvmadm for additional information.
---
 >    A: Run the command /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media.
 >    This will give a fairly comprehensive report of you tape status. You
 >    may also check xvmadm for additional information.
1434,1440d1168
<    Q: How many copies can I make of a given image?
<
<      A: NetBackup currently limits you to two copies per image, one of
<      which is the original.  You can expire one of the copies with
<      bpexpdate -copy n, allowing you to make another copy, but the copy
<      that you expired will no longer be tracked by NetBackup.
<
1451,1454c1179,1182
<        over the entire week (or month) to spread the load on your
<        server(s) and network. It is not necessary to do all of your full
<        backups on the same day, or to do your cumulative incremental
<        backups on Friday. This just causes unnecessary system loading.
---
 >        over the entire week to spread the load on your server(s) and
 >        network. It is not necessary to do all of your full backups on the
 >        same day, or to do your cumulative incremental backups on Friday.
 >        This just causes unnecessary system loading.
1485,1486d1212
<
<
1519c1245
<    Q: Where does NetBackup put its logs?
---
 >    Q: Where does NetBackup log?
1521,1522c1247,1248
<    A: NetBackup places general information logs in
<    /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin or <INSTALL_DIR>\netbackup\logs.
---
 >    A: NetBackup places general information logs in the
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin/ directory.
1526,1530c1252,1257
<    A: For user initiated archives, backups, and restores on Unix, logs
<    are kept under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/username/jobs and
<    /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/<username>/logs. For NT, these logs
<    are kept under <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs\bpkar\yymmdd.log.
<    Win95/98 activity logs are kept under
---
 >    A: For user initiated archives, backups, and restores, logs are kept
 >    under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/<username>/jobs and
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/<username>/logs. Activity logs for
 >    NT are kept under
 >    <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs\bpkar\yymmdd.log. Win95/98
 >    activity logs are kept under
1536,1537c1263
<    /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors on Unix,
<    <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\media\errors on NT.
---
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors.
1542,1546c1268,1270
<    directory for each process under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/<process>/
<    on Unix, or <install_path>\VERITAS\NetBackup\Logs\Process. Logs that
<    can be created are listed in the table below.  (Where m stands for
<    master server, s stands for slave/media server, and c stands for
<    client) :
---
 >    directory for each process under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/<process>/.
 >    Logs that can be created include (m stands for master server, s stands
 >    for slave/media server, c stands for client) -
1766c1490
<    bpdbm logging, follow these directions -
---
 >    bpdbm loggin, follow these directions -
1768,1769c1492,1493
<      Stop bprd and bpdbm processes:
<    On Unix: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bprdreq -terminate ;
---
 >      Stop "bprd" and "bpdbm" processes:
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bprdreq -terminate
1771,1772d1494
<    On NT, choose Settings | Control Panel | Services, and stop the
<    NetBackup services.
1774c1496,1497
<      Remove the bpdbm log directory
---
 >      Remove the bpdbm log directory:
 >    rm -rf /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpdbm
1777,1779c1500,1501
<    On Unix, /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/initbprd
<    On NT, choose Settings | Control Panel | Services, and stop the
<    NetBackup services. Q: Where does Media Manager place its log files?
---
 >    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/initbprd Q: Where does Media Manager place
 >    its log files?
1783,1786c1505,1507
<    log (/var/adm/messages and/or /usr/log/syslog on Unix). Some daemons
<    can be forced to write debug logs by creating a log directory for each
<    daemon under /usr/openv/volmgr/debug/ on Unix, or
<    <install_path>\VERITAS\Volmgr\Debug\ on NT.
---
 >    log (/var/adm/messages and/or /usr/log/syslog). Some daemons can be
 >    forced to write debug logs by creating a log directory for each daemon
 >    under /usr/openv/volmgr/debug/.
1835c1556
<    3. http://www.backupcentral.com/netbackup-faq-current-28528.txt
---