Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Towers of Hanoi

2000-10-25 16:59:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Towers of Hanoi
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net John_Wang AT enron DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:59:36 -0500
Hello Donna

Yes, running daily cumulative with a weekend full would produce overlap ratios
of 1-2-3-4-full through the work week.   I was just wondering if something more
elegant could be arranged.   I suppose that alternating differentials and
cumulative might produce overlap ratios of 1-1-2-1-full or 1-2-1-3-full which
closely emulates the Towers of Hanoi approximation to the desired overlap
ratios, however I was hoping for something that required less frequent sequence
resets ie.: a greater interval between the required full backups as the full
backups are always the worst case scenarios for scheduling.   Ideally, it would
be best to have the differentials and the cumulatives to separate volume pools
in order to ensure redundancy across separate media rather than hoping that mpx
multiplexes enough clients to fill up the media before the next day's run.

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer
Steverson Information Professionals

---
Enron Broadband Services
3 Allen Center, Room 337C
PH (713) 345-6238

|--------+-------------------------->
|        |          donna.nadimi@luc|
|        |          asfilm.com      |
|        |                          |
|        |          10/25/00 03:50  |
|        |          PM              |
|        |                          |
|--------+-------------------------->
  |       To:     John Wang/Contractor/Enron Communications@Enron              |
  |       Communications                                                       |
  |       cc:                                                                  |
  |       Subject:     RE: [Veritas-bu] Re: Towers of Hanoi                    |

Maybe this isn't what you're looking for either, but how about just
selecting "cumulative" incremental backups.  That will backup everything
changed since the last full.  Save yourself some headaches.

--donna

Unix *is* user friendly.  It's just picky about who its friends are.

Donna Nadimi
UNIX Systems Engineer
Lucasfilm Ltd.
(415)662-1956