Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Any decision reached on multi-streaming and bpstart/bpend?

2000-10-20 16:58:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Any decision reached on multi-streaming and bpstart/bpend?
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT colltech DOT com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:58:32 -0700
It was REAL tricky.

How to figure out which job is first is not too bad.  Essentially, we have
them all touch a file pattern, and whichever one touches it first is "in
charge."  However, since several may start at the exact same second, you
need to have them sleep a unique time before touching the file.  We use the
last two digits of the process id times 2.

HOWEVER, how do you figure out which job is LAST?  The ONLY way to do it is
to use bpdbjobs, and bpdbjobs is not on the client unless its a media
server.  We cheated and put it there.

As simple as all this may sound, it took weeks of trial and error to get it
right.  The biggest time loss was the 'jobs start all at once'
problem.  Before adding the sleep, we couldn't figure out why some would
work and some would not -- especially on HPs.  Go figure.  Five scripts
would touch five files, then they would do an ls to see who touched the
pattern first, and the five scripts would not AGREE!  That's why we had to
add the sleep.

I don't envy anyone having to go through that.  That's why we offer this
workaround free for anyone who wants it.