Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup sg problem

2000-10-19 01:42:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup sg problem
From: george blair gblair AT winstar DOT com
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 01:42:40 -0400
--=====================_44929845==_.ALT

The latest certified HBA code is 2.5.9, available from JNI or EMC. I'd move
up rather than down to 2.3 but I'd steer clear of the EZFibre utility for
now. The version of EZFibre that comes with 2.5.9 doesn't work, the 2.1
version is current but it isn't 100% either.

We're also having a lot of trouble getting the Solaris/JNI/Veritas/
Brocade/EMC/STK vendor stack to work correctly, but not
the same problems you are having.

Cheers,
gb

=======================
From: Micheal.Choi AT chase DOT com
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:52:37 +0800
:
:
:

hi all,
      I am currently using a STK L180 with JNI's fibre channel card on Solaris
2.6.
We planned for a Share Storage Option for Netbackup and have already
implemented
the Master Server. It works well.

      On implementation of the Slave server which uses the same set of tape
drivers
with the master server with the same hardware configuration, problems happened
on
/dev/sg attachment of the Fibre Channel tape drives when the driver is loaded:

sg56 attach: - soft state zalloc failed
sg57 attach: - soft state zalloc failed
sg58 attach: - soft state zalloc failed
sg59 attach: - soft state zalloc failed
sg60 attach: - soft state zalloc failed
sg61 attach: - soft state zalloc failed

and the sg driver of the fibre channel tapes drivers are NOT attached
and therefore Netbackup cannot function properly.

The scsi tape driver /dev/st, however, is attached and functioned properly.

The main differences between the master and the slave servers is that:
1)   The slave server is currently using Networker, with the lus driver loaded.
We will
      decommission it after the Netbackup is functional.
2)   The slave server is also attached to a Sun A1000, in which both lus and sg
      created huge amount of devices to it.
3)   The slave servers is also attached to another small DLT library with 2
SCSI
DLTs
      These two drives, however, function without any problem, with the sg
drivers
      attached normally.

When we ask Veritas, they blamed the problem on the firmware of JNI card
(2.4.1)
and
request us to downgrade it to 2.3. We only read from the documents that it is
related to
Sun E10K. We also consulted EMC and EMC, however, mentioned they do not
have any
experience with that firmware level at all.

We have another to-be slave sever which has more or less the same configuration
with the
previous slave server. When we implement netbackup slave to that the problem is
repeated.

Since the slave servers are very important to our production environment, we
cannot afford
any change to it unless we have a certain amount of certaintythat  it would fix
the problem.
I wondered if anyone has encountered such problems before and can share
with us?

thx in advance,
Michael Choi
Chase Manhattan Bank Hong Kong

George A.
Blair                                                      Winstar
Communications
Senior UNIX Engineer                                        2545 Horse Pen
Road
IP Services Architecture & Engineering     Herndon VA  20171
gblair AT winstar DOT com                                           703-889-6331

--=====================_44929845==_.ALT

EMC. I'd move </div>
utility for </div>
2.1 </div>
fibre channel card on Solaris</div>
implemented</div>
uses the same set of tape</div>
problems happened</div>
is loaded:</div>
attached</div>
properly.</div>
that:</div>
the lus driver loaded.</div>
functional.</div>
which both lus and sg</div>
it.</div>
DLT library with 2 SCSI</div>
any problem, with the sg</div>
card (2.4.1)</div>
that it is</div>
not have any</div>
configuration</div>
problem is</div>
environment, we</div>
certaintythat&nbsp; it would fix</div>
share with us?</div>
Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu</div>

Blair&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Winstar Communications<br>
Senior UNIX
Engineer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
2545 Horse Pen Road <br>
IP Services Architecture &amp; Engineering&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Herndon VA&nbsp; 20171 <br>
com</font><font
face="Georgia">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;