Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Drive/Robot creation from the command line?

2000-10-16 10:20:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Drive/Robot creation from the command line?
From: Jonathan Meyer jmeyer AT ptc DOT com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:20:39 -0400
Regarding creating drives from the command line, tpconfig has options
to do what you need.

When I do tpconfig -help I get the following:

Usage: tpconfig [-d]
       tpconfig -dl

Then I tried the following command:

strings `type -p tpconfig` | grep \\- > /tmp/foo.out

I looked through foo.out expecting to find undocumented options.  In
my experience many netbackup commands have hidden goodies.  What
strings actually gave me from the binary was the following:

Usage: tpconfig [-d]
   tpconfig -l
   tpconfig -dl
            <altdrvname> [-vhname <vhdrvname>] [-drstatus [UP|DOWN]]
            -PANEL <panelnum>]]
            [-cntlhost <cntlhost>] [-vdbhost <volume_database_host>]
   tpconfig -update -drive <drvindex>
            [-vhname <vhdrvname>] [-drstatus [UP|DOWN]] [-cleanfreq <hours>]
            [-cntlhost <cntlhost>] [-vdbhost <volume_database_host>]
   tpconfig -delete -drive <drvindex>
   tpconfig -delete -robot <robnum>
   tpconfig -lsavdbhost
   tpconfig -savdbhost <standalone_volume_database_host>
Usage: tpconfig [-d]
       tpconfig -dl

That's right.  The binary contains a usage section that it won't give
you.  I have used these options and they do work.  I can't find those
scripts right now, so I can't give an example.  I had to play with it
to figure out which options is the raw tape device and which is the
block device.

I have not seen these options in any man pages that I have for the
tpconfig command.

Jonathan Meyer
(781)398-6594
UNIX Systems Administrator