Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FAQ News and Survey

2000-10-06 03:47:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FAQ News and Survey
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT colltech DOT com
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 00:47:47 -0700
This email contains both news and a survey at the end.  PLEASE respond to
the survey.

I have further refined the look of the HTML version of the FAQ, and it is
available at:

http://www.backupcentral.com/netbackup-faq.html

I have done a lot of work on it to make it easier to read, including
actually formatting the text and the paragraphs so they display better in
HTML, and splitting the faq up into 13 separate files that are accessible
from the main table of contents (the URL above).

I personally think an HTML version of the FAQ is much more useful than a
really huge email to the mailing list.  Since it's indexed by my site, you
can even do complex searches for things in the FAQ at
http://www.backupcentral.com/search.html .  As the FAQ gets bigger and more
complex, this is going to be even more important.

The problem is that it is very difficult to maintain a readable HTML and
TXT version of the FAQ.  I can generate a mailable TXT from my HTML pretty
easily, but it sure isn't pretty.  Here is the survey:

1. Do you like the new HTML format at
http://www.backupcentral.com/netbackup-faq.html ?

2. If I could maintain only the searchable HTML or emailable TXT version,
which would you prefer?

3. If I could automate making a text version from the HTML version, how
important is it that it be nicely formatted?

4. If I am able to automate sending out a text version, should I send it to
the whole list once a month, or should we create a separate mailing list
just for that?   (It's a lot of wasted bandwidth for a lot of people.)

Thank you very much for your help.

---
W. Curtis Preston, Principal Consultant at Collective Technologies
Email: curtis AT colltech DOT com                (Best way to contact me)
Work : 408 452 5555                       (Leave a message.)
Pager: 800 946 4646, pin#1436065        (If urgent.)

Tap into the Collective Intellect (TM): http://www.colltech.com
Backup & Restore resources:        http://www.backupcentral.com