Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] More questions on WinNT clusters, aliases, and clustered SSO

2000-10-05 11:54:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] More questions on WinNT clusters, aliases, and clustered SSO
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 10:54:11 -0500
I've seen the questions about backing up cluster resources, and while I think
that the answer to my question is to upgrade to 3.4, I'd like to avoid that if
possible.

I have 2 NT machines

NT1
NT2

They are cluster, and I have 2 aliases, NT-ALIAS-1 and NT-ALIAS-2.

ALIAS1 owns G:\
ALIAS2 owns H:\

Right now, I have 3 NB classes configured.

Class NT backs up NT1 and NT2 but excludes G:\ and H:\
Class NT-1 backs up G:\
Class NT-2 backs up H:\

Should either of the cluster resources fail over, my backup will restart on
the new node, and my backups will proceed properly.

I want to configure the machines to do SSO. The robot control host is on
another machine entirely.

I create 2 storage units:

ST1 lives on NT1
ST2 lives on NT2

I want to make sure that my backups always happen via a local tape drive
across my SAN, rather than over the network. In addition, I don't want my
machines backing up other clients.

I make ST1 and ST2 "on demand only" storage units.

I make class NT-1 force itself to use ST1 and NT-2 to use ST2.  This works
great, as long as my cluster resources don't fail over between nodes.  If they
do, then I either won't get my backup, or it will go across the network, which
I don't want.  So, the question is:

1. Can I force local backups using the MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE entry here?  Does
the backup software realize that my storage unit is local, even though the
client its backing up is a cluster resource name, not an actual node name?  If
I set this, but mark the storage unit to "on demand only" will the storage
unit still get used?

2. Or, do I need to go to 3.4 and create clustered media servers on the
machines so that the storage units themselves can fail between the machines?

Thanks.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A