Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Moving Oracle catalogs

2000-10-03 00:47:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Moving Oracle catalogs
From: Carl.Williams C.Williams AT uk.sun DOT com
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 05:47:39 +0100 (BST)
Hi

Does anyone have any experience moving Oracle EBU and Oracle RMAN catalogs
between servers.

I have a customer who currently has a backup server called oldserver.
This machine utilizes Netbackup 3.1.1 and also an Oracle 7.3.4 EBU catalog
and en Oracle 8.0.5 RMAN catalog.

There are 6 client machines housing a total of 12 'LIVE PRODUCTION'
databases that are a mix of 7.3.4 & 8.0.5.

The customer now wants to use oldserver for something completely
different and so wants to migrate all backup capability to a new backup
server called newserver. newserver must run Netbackup 3.2.

Therefore the situation is this. We need to copy over all of the
Netbackup indexes to newserver. This I believe is possible, although
I've not tried it yet.

Also we need to copy over the EBU & RMAN catalogs to the newserver and
configure hot backups to execute from there.

I am familiar with what is required for the upgrade from Netackup 3.1.1 to 3.2,
i.e. relink the 8.0.5 executable, and I'm confident that we can get hot
backups working from the clients to newserver.

What worries me is this. Is it possible to transfer the EBU & RMAN
catalogs to newserver. In particular, how does this effect the ability
of Netbackup to perform restores of data that was originally backed up
on oldserver i.e. prior to the migration.

I have heard that RMAN & EBU catalogs contain backup server hostname
data, that may prevent this migration. Is that true?

I would be extremely grateful for any advice that anyone may have.

Many Thanks

Carl

--

Carl Williams - SunPS Project Engineer