Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Installing Netbackup with IP-Filters

2000-09-27 17:43:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Installing Netbackup with IP-Filters
From: Mukarram Syed musyed AT onebox DOT com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:43:44 -0700
Hi All,
This is my first time installing Netbackup.
I have a problem with the ports while installing Veritas Netbackup.
Here is a summary of our setup:
The GDM is a E450 and it is also a Master and a Media Manager.  There
is another Media Manager which is a E250.  We are running IP-Filters
and Secure Shell on all our Servers.
I have enabled all the Netbackup/Media Manager ports which are in the
/etc/services file after installing Netbackup and Media Manager in both
the E450 and the E250 in the /etc/ipf.rules file (ip-filter rules file).
The Media Manager/Netbackup software got installed successfully in the
E250 and it communicated with the E450 when I told it the Master was
the E450.  The vmd is what communicated with the Master.
But on the Master (E450), when I tell that the Media Manager is a E250,
it tries to communicate with it and it times out.  The error is a "Network
Time out".
As I said all the ports have been enabled (opened) in the IPfilters file
(/etc/ipf.rules).
Even the Veritas Field Engineer who was here did not know what to do.
I finally disabled IP filters for it to work.  But I need to enable IP
filters back soon on the two servers.
Any suggestions, comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Mukarram Syed
UNIX System Administrator.

Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com