Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] can I back up Notes R5 databases without transaction logs?

2000-09-13 23:19:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] can I back up Notes R5 databases without transaction logs?
From: Ty Young tyyyoung2 AT home DOT com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:19:21 -0500
This may seem like a silly question, but I have to ask because I don't know
the Notes/Domino architecture well enough to be able to answer myself.

Here's the deal.  We have a bunch of NT4 and Win2k servers which have Domino
server running on them.  These are primarily mail servers, but they do a few
other Notes-ish things too.  Anyway, we want to back them up with NetBackup
3.4 which runs on an HPUX 11.0 server.

My colleagues in the Notes DBA dept. tell me that they do not have
transaction logging enabled on these servers because of known issues with
these logs in R5.  (There may be more information on this subject, but
that's what I've been told.)

As a result, it's our understanding that we can't back up our DB's using NB
and the Notes 'module' because, according to the manual, transaction logging
MUST be turned on.

(One workaround we thought of would be to just back up the databases and
other 'Notes-related' files, maybe using OTM in the middle, but we're not
sure that'll work.)

Anybody have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks!

-ty