Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] UNIX O.S. restore

2000-08-21 06:28:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] UNIX O.S. restore
From: Lawrence, Bob bob.lawrence AT primark DOT com
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:28:26 +0100
I'm sure some of you must have done this before, but we found it less than
straight forward the first time we did it.

I have a NT4.0 master with NBU 3.1.5,   NT slaves,   NT and Unix clients.

Restoring a Unix application data or a whole NT server after a system disk
failure works fine, but for Unix O.S. it's somewhat more complicated and the
Veritas documentation is 'less than detailed'.

The manual says that to restore the OS of a unix machine using Netbackup,
you need to:
1. replace the failed system disk.
2. Install a second disk and boot from it, install NBU on it.
3. Restore the original OS from tape to the replaced disk.

Does anyone have any detailed documentation on the exact procedure for this
please?
=======

(I'm talking mainly Solaris2.6 here.   We have AIX too, but mostly do mksysb
to local tape.)

The frightening thing was, we called Veritas Support and the engineer asked
why would we want to restore the Operating System !!!!   (I guess he'd never
had a HD fail?!)

thanks
Bob