Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing NBU DB tapes out?

2000-08-18 13:06:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing NBU DB tapes out?
From: RYAN C. ANDERSON ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:06:55 -0500
Does anyone know the most proper way to physically take out the current
NBU database tapes and put two new ones in their place?  For such a
seemingly mundane task, I'm not 100% sure the best way to do it.  The
on-line help in NBU 3.1.1 (Solaris) says this on the subject:

" For example, assume you change to a different media ID in order to
make an
extra copy of the databases. When you change to the new media ID,
NetBackup
replaces the old ID with the new ID and no longer tracks the old ID in
its
database. This results in the media associated with old ID being made
available for reassignment by Media Manager."

Is it only possible (and desirable) to have two media IDs known as NBU
databases?  Is putting in two new tapes always necessarily a deletion of
the previous' media IDs, although the data is still intact?  Am I way
off base?

Regards,

RCA
Ryan C. Anderson           United Defense L.P.
UNIX Administrator         http://www.udlp.com/
(desk) 763.572.6684        (pager) 612.235.9936
ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com     Mail stop M313