Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpdbm "infinite" forking

2000-07-28 12:53:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpdbm "infinite" forking
From: James Laurie jlaurie AT csu DOT org
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:53:05 -0600
I just upgraded from NetBackup 3.1.1 to 3.2 - OS is Solaris 2.6
My problem is that the bpdbm process periodically begins to fork
spawning more bpdbm processes which in turn spawn even more bpdbm
processes. I don't know this is happening until swap fills up and
further fork attempts cause the following messages:

(2nd) unable to fork, errno = 12
bpdbm (4): (2nd) unable to fork, errno = 12
bpdbm (4): TERMINATED bpdbm: error flag = 148
Killed

I used /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/bp.kill_all to stop NetBackup --
it took several times running this to kill everything.

This happens whether or not there are any backup or restore jobs running

If I start NetBackup again it may or may not go into this forking loop
again. This is a tough one folks -- HELP!!!!!