Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NEED DREAM MACHINE TO HOST ATL P1000 and BOOST N B

2000-07-17 03:42:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NEED DREAM MACHINE TO HOST ATL P1000 and BOOST N B
From: Pengelly, Adrian apengell AT lehman DOT com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 08:42:15 +0100
Larry,

I can only give you a couple of recommendations for hardware as I run Sun
Solaris servers and don't really deal much with NT. However, a good guide is
to try and use a SCSI bus per tape drive (DLT 7000s) as you get much better
performance this way. This really only applies once you get your network
sorted out, you will need 100 Mbit full duplex to your master/slaves and to
your larger clients as a minimum.
If you are really stuck with 10Mbit, try increasing the inter-packet gap for
you network packets (if it can be done on NT) this allows the
acknowledgement packets to return to the client before it tries to send the
next packet. It's a bit like running full duplex.
You will also need a fair amount of RAM in your slaves as the increasing
tape/network buffers will also help the total performance.

All the best in upgrading your environment.

Adrian Pengelly
Unix Engineering Manager
Lehman Brothers - London
Tel:    020-7256-4440