Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT7000 on FC/AL

2000-06-08 16:49:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT7000 on FC/AL
From: Michael Gaytan mgaytan AT vangard DOT com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:49:49 -0400
Ross,

The old rule of thumb of configuring two DLT7000 drives per SCSI bus was
conceived by using the drive's 2:1 compression ratio of 10MB/sec and
comparing that to the FW SCSI spec of 20MB/sec. The DLT8000 drive
although upgraded to LVD connectivity (LVD SCSI spec of 80MB/sec) has
only an increase of speed of 1MB/sec to 6MB/sec native and 2MB/sec to
12MB/sec with full 2:1 compression. In this case since the LVD bus
supports 80MB/sec then you should be able to support up to six DLT8000
drives per bus.(My solutions implement four max.)

Fibre channel connectivity has essentially moved the bottle neck from
the external I/O Bus to the internal PCI bus. (32-bit,33MHz @ 128MB/sec;
64-bit,33MHz @ 266MB/sec; and 64-bit,66MHz @ 530MB/sec.) By running
multiple FC HBA's on PCI Bus, (E450 supports up to 8) you could
potentially overwhelm the internal PCI buses.

Knowing the above, in your case you will probably be attaching your
DLT7000 drives via a SCSI-Fibre bridge/router to your existing SAN, or to
your NBU Master and Media servers directly. Understanding that each of
the DLT7000 drive's will not run any faster than the maximum of 10MB/sec,
you should be able to theoretically connect up to ten DLT7000 drives
thru a SCSI to Fibre bridge to any one switch port or FC-HBA.
Unfortunately the SCSI to Fibre bridges/routers that I have seen on the
market will only support up to four SCSI's to every Fibre port. You
should therefore be able to connect eight FWD SCSI DLT7000 drives thru
two SCSI-Fibre bridges/routers to the switch or fibre HBA. You must also
take into consideration the CPU and Memory load per tape drive when you
connect these drives to the master and media servers. (This is why we
are anxiously anticipating "TRUE" serverless backup.)

The old CPU/RAM rule of thumb was two DLT7000 drives per 300MHz CPU, and
512MB of RAM. So a maxed out E450 could support up to 8 DLT7000 drives
(4x300MHz CPU's, 8x256MB RAM, 4xFWD SCSI HBA's). Now that the E450
supports the 450MHz CPU's with double the external cache, from 2-MB to
4-MB, we can, and have configured the E450 with a max of 12 DLT7000
drives.

The Bottom Line:
You should be able to connect six of the DLT7000 drives to your E450/E420R
Master configured with 2x450MHz CPU's, and 4x256MB RAM (I would add 512MB
more RAM), and thru a single Fibre HBA without any problem.

Regards,
Michael Gaytan
Solution Engineer
Vangard Technology