Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Alternating tapes for SAP backups

2000-05-24 17:29:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Alternating tapes for SAP backups
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:29:17 -0500
John Snodgrass said:

>The two ideas I have are: Use different schedules within the class with
>different retention levels for the alternating days.  This should make
>it use different tapes, but they would all be in the same volume pool.
>My other idea is to create more volume pools and classes.  I'm open to
>suggestions.

I think the easier of the 2 is different pools. You can override the pool to
use for a schedule within a class. So, you could have 1 class, a schedule for
each different backup you run, and separate volume pools for each.  With a
scratch volume pool, and new tapes assigned there, you'll even automatically
allocate media to the other pools as needed, thus freeing you from manually
putting tapes into the classes.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A