Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] A rhetorical question...

2000-05-11 09:49:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] A rhetorical question...
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 08:49:10 -0500 (CDT)
If I may...

One of the main reasons for this directive was to allow
the administrators to streamline their class list.
Prior to this directive, you would have had to split up
the file systems into multiple classes to achieve
"parallelism".  Thus, you would have say 15 classes for
one large client.  Additionally, any new filesystems
wouldn't be protected unless you added it to one of
these classes or created a new one.  ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES
provides a level of protection that we didn't have
before.

1.  Restart of failed filesystem only, not the entire
class.  (when using multiple streams)

2.  new file systems are covered

3.  Ease of Adminstration, streamline the class list.

So while some of the base functionality is the same as
/ with cross mount points, configured properly it
becomes so much more.

David Chapa
David A. Chapa                847 413 1144 p
Consulting Practice Mgr.      847 413 1168 f
DataStaff, Inc.               http://www.datastaff.com

Quoting Robert Bakh <bbakh AT veritas DOT com>:

> If you use / then one stream is used to backup the
entire system.

> If you select ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, but not check the box
in the attributes tab
> that says allow multiple streams, it works the same
as / and cross mount
> points.
>
> If you select ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES and check the box in
the attributes tab that
> says allow multiple streams then it executes a stream
per mount point.

> Bob

bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] A rhetorical question...
>

>               I'm not sure what is meant by "a lot
harder to find the
> right stream"? When doing a restore, you choose the
file(s) or directory
> you
> want and tell NBU to restore it. If you want the
latest version NBU will
> find the applicable tape, mount it, and restore the
files. If you want to
> restore an earlier version, specify the date range,
find the
> files/directories you want to restore (it's easier if
you use verbose mode,
> so that you can see the date of the file to restore)
then tell NBU to
> restore them. Which tape(s) the files are on is
irrelevant to the restore
> process.
>
> Patrick Whelan
> Consulting
> [NBU (with extensions) and Storage Migrator]
> [VxFS and Volume Manager]
> pwhelan AT veritas DOT com
>
> Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
- Dennis Miller
> Friends help friends move, good friends help move
bodies - Unknown.