Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU: NDMP opinions/info?

2000-04-10 14:30:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU: NDMP opinions/info?
From: Debbie Brown debbieb AT msp.sc.ti DOT com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 13:30:13 -0500
Rob,

Backing up Net App filers using NDMP works great!  We are currently backing up
14 NetApp filers & have been very pleased with the
performance of backups.

Unfortunately, restores don't work as great, yet.  Restores can take an
EXTREMELY long amount of time.  I have experienced this
personally & have spoken to both NetApp & Veritas about this.  Apparently,
NetApp has a bug where DAR (Direct Access Restore) does not
work yet; Veritas uses the term "LOCATE BLOCK" instead of "DAR".

In NetApp bug # 12865, it describes DAR as the following:

"NDMP has a Direct Access Restore feature that allows restore to read only the
data it needs to perform the restore."

This bug report talks about DAR & Budtool, but I have verified w/ both sides
that it is also an issue with NetBackup.  Basically, the
restore has to read the entire backup image to restore data, so even if you are
restoring a directory that is less than 100MB, it can
take hours.

NetApp told us back in November of '99 that DAR would be fixed in their next
release in Spring of 2000.  What we still need to find out
is, once NetApp fixes this problem, will it be fixed on NetBackup's side as
well or do any NetBackup patches need to be applied?

Again, the NDMP backups fly; it's just the restores that take a long time.

Hope this helps!

Debbie Brown
Texas Instruments
MSP Workstation Support