Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] [SUMMARY] Moving tapes to different media server.

2000-04-10 12:18:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] [SUMMARY] Moving tapes to different media server.
From: Arthur Darren Dunham add AT netcom DOT com
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 09:18:45 -0700 (PDT)
Original question...

> Hello.  I'm a former Networker user now in a NB environment.
>
> I've got a huge server that is being backed up by our master/media
> server.  I used the restore tool to see what volumes would be needed
> for a restore and pulled them out of the master.  I reinventoried the
> master, inserted the tapes in another media server, and reinventoried
> that.  The media server recognized the barcodes and seemed to understand
> the volumes that were added.  *whew*
>
> Now, I go back to my restore tool and the files I want to restore are
> no longer present in the view.  I was hoping that the master would
> just understand where the volumes were and allow me to restore from
> there (I'm trying to restore to another client local to the new media
> server that the tapes are in).
>
> I'm just now learning NB.  Are there additional steps needed to get the
> files to appear in my restore tool?

And I got a couple of answers...

----
If you want to restore from a different media server than what was
originally backed up on you have to put in the bp.conf file on the master
server
FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = fromhost tohost
where fromhost is the original media server that did the backup and tohost
is the server to use for the restore.
You have then restart bprd on the master server.  Keep in mind all restores
from the original media server will go to the new server from then so you
might want to take out the entry after the restore is done.

and..
----
1.  If these tapes are going to remain in this new media server run the
command

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/adminmcmd/bpmedia -movedb -ev Tape_id -oldserver
name -newserver name

if this is going to be the dfault restore media server

ie

backup using server A and move tapes to server b for management and restore
purposes.

then in the masters bp.conf (/usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf)
isert the line FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = oldserver newserver
-----

Well, I tried the bpmedia bit.  It seemed to be the cleaner solution.  I
executed the command on the NB master and it gave no error messages.
However, during the restore, the requests still went to the original
media server.

I then used the other method and that worked well.  It seems limiting
though to force the entire media server to be redirected.

I'm assuming the bprd is only needed for requests.  Can I safely
kill/restart it while a backup or restore is happening without affecting
them?

Thanks again.
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company
Got some Dr Pepper?                                      Santa Clara, CA
      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >