Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: DLT Cleaning

2000-04-06 16:25:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: DLT Cleaning
From: Steve Wills steve AT redhat DOT com
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 16:25:24 -0400
--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

I was hoping you'd reply to this. You seem to know more about this
stuff than anyone around. :)

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 10:05:43AM -0700, W. Curtis Preston wrote:
> At 05:08 PM 4/5/00 -0400, Paul Weaver wrote:
> >Steve,
> >     For DLT drives, a send signals over the SCSI bus, by the drives,=20
> > indicating that they need to be cleaned.  NetBackup is suppose to=20
> > recongize this and clean the drives.  Make sure if NetBackup is=20
> > controlling the cleanings, that the library you are using is set up NOT=
=20
> > to clean drives automatically, as some libraries can do this.
>=20
> The DLT does send these signals, but NetBackup does not get them.  Only t=
he=20
> library gets them, and reacts appropriately if you have set it up to auto=
=20
> clean itself.  Netbackup (and every other backup software package that I=
=20
> know of) only cleans every X hours of operation, which is the WRONG way t=
o=20
> clean a DLT drive.
>=20

Can you tell me exactly why it is wrong to clean every X hours of
operation? I sorta need to justify this to my boss who sees the only
harm in doing it every X hours as using up a lot of cleaning
tapes. Whereas on the other hand, if you have the have the hardware
clean the drives, you have no way of knowing when to change the tape,
right? Or does NetBackup still know the number of cleanings, etc.

Me, I'd rather not have to care about changing them so
often. Plus there's what you said about it being wrong. I understand
it may damage the drive? Also, now much cleaning is really necessary
in a clean server room environment? Aren't the drives slightly self
cleaning? Sorry to bug you with all these questions. If there is
somewhere I can read about this, just let me know. I haven't been able
to find much info about the hardware of DLT.

Thanks,
Steve

--=20
Steve Wills <steve AT redhat DOT com>