Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning

2000-04-06 13:05:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT colltech DOT com
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:05:43 -0700
At 05:08 PM 4/5/00 -0400, Paul Weaver wrote:
>Steve,
>     For DLT drives, a send signals over the SCSI bus, by the drives,
> indicating that they need to be cleaned.  NetBackup is suppose to
> recongize this and clean the drives.  Make sure if NetBackup is
> controlling the cleanings, that the library you are using is set up NOT
> to clean drives automatically, as some libraries can do this.

The DLT does send these signals, but NetBackup does not get them.  Only the
library gets them, and reacts appropriately if you have set it up to auto
clean itself.  Netbackup (and every other backup software package that I
know of) only cleans every X hours of operation, which is the WRONG way to
clean a DLT drive.

>     For the cleaning tape, you will add it as a DLT cleaning tape, or
> whatever media you are using, to the Media Manager and you will tell it
> how many cleanings the cartridge has.  There are several ways to check
> how many cleanings are left on a tape; the first is using the GUI, and
> the second could be using a script that veritas provides,
> /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/cleanstats ( a useful script ).

Yup.

---
W. Curtis Preston, Principal Consultant at Collective Technologies
Email: curtis AT colltech DOT com                (Best way to contact me)
Work : 408 452 5555                       (Leave a message.)
Pager: 800 946 4646, pin#1436065        (If urgent.)

Tap into the Collective Intellect (TM): http://www.colltech.com
Backup & Restore resources:        http://www.backupcentral.com