Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning

2000-04-05 18:10:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning
From: Rob Worman rob AT colltech DOT com
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:10:30 -0600
>This makes sense to me, but I have a few questions. According to my
>library docs, enabling Auto Clean "Allows the library to clean the
>tape drives automatically as needed." How does the library know when a
>drive needs cleaning?

>Is this via some SCSI message that corresponds
>to the Drive Clean light on the drive?

yep.

>Also, how will I know when I
>need to put in a new cleaning tape?

aha, that's a flaw in this whole diabolical autoclean plot - the
library has no way of warning you that your cleaning tape is about to
run out!
(although as of this writing, this problem also exists if you use
NetBackup for your drive cleaning... but you can script a
cleaning-tape-checking solution in that case)

The specifics will depend on the model of library you're using, but
an error status will be reported on the library LCD when either (a)
the cleaning tape hits its configured max number of cleanings, and/or
(b) a cleaning operation fails because the cleaning tape has reached
its configured max number of cleanings.  So unless you have VERY
observant and quick-reacting operational staff, you will probably end
up having some jobs failing from tape errors before you get the tape
replaced.

But given the anecdotal reports of DLT drives going for months at a
time without needing a single cleaning, that cleaning tape might last
a ridiculously long time before it gets used up.

HTH
rob