Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning

2000-04-05 16:53:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT Cleaning
From: Steve Wills steve AT redhat DOT com
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:53:55 -0400
--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

To bring up an old subject that has recently become important to me...

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 03:27:03PM -0800, W. Curtis Preston wrote:
> Actually, DLTs should also be cleaned on demand only.  Check your manuals=
.=20
> That's why I set up all my libraries to auto-clean, and I don't have=20
> NetBackup do anything WRT cleaning.  Unlike other drives, DLTs should not=
=20
> be cleaned every X hours.  Both DLTs and AITs are self-cleaning to a degr=
ee=20
> (AIT much more than DLT), and cleaning them more often than they need=20
> cleaning actually does harm to the drive.

This makes sense to me, but I have a few questions. According to my
library docs, enabling Auto Clean "Allows the library to clean the
tape drives automatically as needed." How does the library know when a
drive needs cleaning? Is this via some SCSI message that corresponds
to the Drive Clean light on the drive? Also, how will I know when I
need to put in a new cleaning tape?=20

I realize these are perhaps questions that should be directed to the
drive manufacturer, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

--=20
Steve Wills <steve AT redhat DOT com>