Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] changing master names

2000-03-30 13:15:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] changing master names
From: Rasana Atreya rasana_atreya AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:15:35 PST
> >      Server hostname changes and moving NetBackup and Volume Manager
> >      databases to a different server.
> >
> >      Modification of the hostname of a NetBackup server to which backup
> >      or
> >      archive images have been written will result in the inability to
> >      easily
> >      restore from those images. This is because the server's hostname is
> >      associated with the image in the NetBackup image database.
> >
> >      Restoring from these images will involve manual manipulation of
> >      database files.
>
>is this true after following the suggested procedure?  or is this the
>reason
>why the suggested procedure is necessary?
>

> >      Another problem will be encountered when the images expire.
> >      NetBackup
> >      will be unable to delete these expired images, and an error will be
> >      noted in the error log.

Rob,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

>>Server hostname changes and moving NetBackup and Volume Manager databases
>>to a different server.
>>
>>Modification of the hostname of a NetBackup server to which backup or
>>archive images have been written will result in the inability to easily
>>restore from those images. This is because the server's hostname is
>>associated with the image in the NetBackup image database.
>>
>>Restoring from these images will involve manual manipulation of database
>>files.

>is this true after following the suggested procedure?  or is this the
>reason why the suggested procedure is necessary?

>>Another problem will be encountered when the images expire. >>NetBackup
>>will be unable to delete these expired images, and an >>error will be
>>noted in the error log.

>same questions as above...

Answer to your questions (again from Tech Support):

Overriding the Media Host
-------------------------

NetBackup allows the administrator to define a mapping in the NetBackup
configuration (bp.conf on UNIX, registry on Windows NT) to request that all
restores that need to use media server A be changed to use media server B
instead. This method requires administrator intervention. Some examples of
when to use this method:

   * Two (or more) servers are sharing a robot, each have connected
     drives. A restore is requested while one of the servers is either
     temporarily unavailable or is busy doing backups.

   * A media server has been removed from the NetBackup configuration,
     and is no longer accessible.

     Note: The media server override applies to all storage units on
     the overridden media server. This means restores for any storage
     unit on fromhost will go to tohost.

To override the NetBackup media server for a restore:

  1. If necessary, physically move the media and update the Media
     Manager volume database, using the Media Manager administrative
     utilities.

  2. Modify the NetBackup configuration on the master server:

     UNIX NetBackup server:

     As root user, add the following entry to the
     /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file:

       FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = fromhost tohost

     where fromhost is the media server that performed the original
     backup and tohost is the desired media host to use for the
     restore.

     Windows NT NetBackup server:
     Use the RegEdit application to modify the key

     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config

     to add the value FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER and then set the
     newly added value to fromhost tohost, where fromhost is the media
     server that performed the original backup and tohost is the
     desired media host to use for the restore.

To make expired media available again
-------------------------------------

Here are the options to be run with the bpexdate command to
make media available:

The bpexpdate can fail with this error for a number of reasons:

        The command was issued on a master server, the images are
        expired but the mediaDB has info on this tape.
                use the -justmedia option appended to the command.

        The command was issued, images exist but the mediaDB is not
        available.
                use the -justimages option appended to the command.

If you have to use the -justmedia or -justimages option, you will have to
deassign the tape manually.

        The pool number and status number can be obtained by:

                vmquery -m <media ID>
                then vmquery -deassignbyid <media ID> <pool#> <status>

Example:

run /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery -m <media id> to get info needed on master
server.  example: vmquery -m A00001 yeilds:

media ID:              A00001
media type:            8MM cartridge tape (4)
barcode:               00A00001
volume pool:           djmtest (3)
robot type:            TL8 - Tape Library 8MM (6)
robot number:          22
robot slot:            42 (F02)
robot host:            wave
volume group:          00_022_TL8
created:               Fri Jan 10 16:31:35 1997
assigned:              ---
last mounted:          Thu Apr  3 12:34:08 1997
first mount:           Thu Feb  6 10:24:28 1997
expiration date:       ---
number of mounts:      32
max mounts allowed:    ---
next, write down the pool number -in parens- our example pool number is  3
ex. (volume pool:  djmtest (3)
then get the status number... usually looks like 0x0 (netbackup) or 0x1
(netbackup database) you'll want the last number 0 or 1
Note: you may not see the status listed (like in my example) use 0 or 1 as
appropriate anyways.

Then on master run vmquery -deassignbyid <media id here> <pool number here>
<status here...0 or 1>
It will look like vmquery -deassignbyid A00001 3 0

Then run:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -justmedia -ev A00001 -d 0