Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Storage Units

2000-03-16 05:31:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Storage Units
From: George Roper backup_user AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:31:56 GMT
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Unfortunately I wish it were as simple as this :o(

I definately have only ONE Volume DataBase. This is stored on the host that
controls the robot.

I believe the problem lies with the fact that NetBackup needs to maintain
it's own distributed Media Database. Each server connected to drives
maintains it's own Database. I can prove this by running an bpmedialist
-summary, this lists each Slave's Media database.

Once a slave server writes to a tape, it exclusively owns it by making an
entry for the Volume ID in it's Media database. Once owned, a volume cannot
be used by any other host until returned to the Volume manager through
expiry. I believe it is this behaviour that is this root cause of my
problem.

Can any-one confirm/correct my understanding/observation or answer my
operational questions:-

   o Is this behaviour correct?
   o Is there a way of modifying it so that one SU can gain access to
     the other's volumes?

Regards,

George