Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vaulting the DB Backup

2000-02-24 10:51:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vaulting the DB Backup
From: Rob Worman rob AT colltech DOT com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:51:11 -0600
the only caveat to note with the manual use of bpbackupdb is one
possibly significant contrast with the automatically-run backups of
the database:

     When NetBackup internally calls bpbackupdb, bpsched is
     put on hold and won't start any new backups until the
     bpbackupdb finishes.  This guarantees a stable NBU DB
     is being written to tape.

     But when bpbackupdb is called by hand, bpsched continues
     to behave as normal. So you could have a cron job calling
     bpbackupdb at 9am, but a backups that happens to start at
     9:01am will be modifying files in the db directories while
     bpbackupdb is running.

Such a situation probably won't nastily corrupt your NBU DB backup,
but do you want to risk it?  Let's just say if you go to
cron-scheduled bpbackupdb calls, you probably want to decree that
time to be a "no-backup zone".

The above was true as of NBU 3.2 circa October.   If anyone knows of
a recent patch that makes my info outdated (and hopefully fixed)
please correct me!

rob