Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] available_media fix (was Re: [Veritas-bu] Solution not band-aid

2000-02-23 11:06:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] available_media fix (was Re: [Veritas-bu] Solution not band-aid
From: Rob Worman rob AT colltech DOT com
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:06:15 -0600
Hi Brian-

Don't necessarily trust the available media script when it tells that
a tape's status is DBBACKUP.  It's certainly possible to have "extra"
tapes which are marked for DB backups, but more likely it's a bug in
the available_media script.  IIRC the bpmedialist call (which is
inefficiently called hundreds or thousands of times, depending on how
many tapes you have, see fix below) occasionally hits a snag and
doesn't return info on one of your tapes and in this case the tape
gets the "DBBACKUP" status assigned.

Here's what I suggest - not only is it a fix, but it will
tremendously speed up your available_media script if you have a lot
of tapes.  (e.g. surveying 600 tapes takes about 45 seconds instead
of 10 minutes)

Edit the available_media shell script like so:  (I'm looking at a box
running 3.1.1 at the moment, but the 3.2 available_media script is
identical or close enough)

=========
1--go to the line "cat $VMPOOL_OUTPUT |"
    (line 152 for me)

2--BEFORE this line, add the following command:
     /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedialist -mlist -l >
/tmp/mvedialist.out

   (this command should be all one line, and that's a
    lowercase "L" flag, not the digit "1")

3--go to the line where bpmedialist is being piped to a while loop
    (line 177 for me)

4--comment out the bpmedialist line, and replace it with the following:

         grep $vmediaid /tmp/vmedialist.out 2>/dev/null |

   (don't forget that pipe at the end....)

sorry, the above fix won't necessarily work on an NT Master server :))

rob