Networker

[Networker] Networker DDboost replication - MTREE Vs directory

2013-09-17 15:15:47
Subject: [Networker] Networker DDboost replication - MTREE Vs directory
From: SZ <szaman AT SEIC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:01:24 -0400
Hello Networkers,

We are looking into switching our Networker backups from Datadomain VTL to
DDBoost.  Currently we backup our data to a Datadomain DD890 VTL which
replicates to another DD890 at a remote location.  In our current setup the
backup starts to replicate at block level as soon as it starts writing to the
directory in datadomain which is hardware based and near-real-time with no
additional effort from application or administration.  Looks like starting from
DDOS 5.1 DDBoost uses MTree storage units and cannot replicate directly unless
an application initiates a cloning (replication) job manually or from a
schedule eg.  in Networker "Clone Controlled Replication" .

In other words:

1.  If cloning is not scheduled for few hours, replication will be behind few
hours so we need to keep clones going all the time which may lead to other
issues like multiple clone jobs running into each other.

2.  If Networker is being upgraded, replication will not run until networker is
back online and clone is manually restarted.
3.  Admin will have to frequently run reports to make sure the data is cloned
(replicated).
4.  If you need tape cloning for longer retention, you need to run another
clone job afterwards

DDBoost/Mtree replication is totally depending on the application while
directory replication is:

1. automatic
2. hardware level
3. near real time
4. No dependency on application
5. no administration/scheduling needed
6. Replicates even when Networker is down for upgrade etc
7. tape cloning and replication both can run simultaneously

The only benefit I can see is that Networker will be aware of replicated data.
It's almost like DDBoost is taking away a very desirable feature and replacing
with a less efficient process.

I am interested to know if and how you have configured DDBoost with replication
and your thoughts as this seems to be the future direction for DD replication.

Thanks