Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup order for save sets?

2013-09-04 20:43:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup order for save sets?
From: George Sinclair - NOAA Federal <george.sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 20:38:52 -0400
On 2013-09-04 18:40, Davina Treiber wrote:
On 22/08/13 22:04, George Sinclair - NOAA Federal wrote:
Kind of a dumb question, or rather looking for confirmation here, but do
save sets get backed up in the order that they're listed in the NSR
client resource? I'm assuming that you've enumerated them and not used
"All". My observation is that they do appear to be getting backed up in
the order listed.

If not, is there a way to control the order other than splitting them
into different groups/start times or manually running the save
operation, from the client side, against each of the save sets in the
order that you want them backed up?
Why would it matter?
I don't recall the exact reasons now, but it seemed important at the time. I think it had something to do with a situation wherein you have, say, a group with several save sets, and due to the large number of inodes being used by one of those paths/directories/file systems then if the backups started on that one first (especially during a full) then the other save sets might just sit idle (depending, of course, on the sundry parallelisms). This creates a problem because they might not get backed up for a quite a while while the other one is chugging away. As a result, the next time the group runs, it aborts because an instance of itself is already running (natch). It could be that the max parallelism has been reached (client, group, etc.), and the other save sets can't send data, not for a long time. On the other hand, while the converse situation, wherein the smaller ones go first, seems identical in the end, I think I'd rather have the faster ones run first so if I'm waiting on anything, it's the one that takes longer. At least everything else is done. This may be a poor explanation or example, but I didn't provide the background or justification in my post, so I'm not sure exactly what the scenario was. The obvious solution as far as the backups are concerned is to simply move the offender(s) to a separate group.

Or I may have been trying to troubleshoot the amount of time a backup group was taking to complete wherein one or more of the save sets seemed to be taking a very long time, forcing one or more of the others to pend, and I was trying to corroborate the completion times reported from the media database with the order that the save sets were listed for the NSR client resource.

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210