Networker

[Networker] Recovering a NW 7.6.2.1 client from a NW 8.0.1 server

2013-08-22 08:43:25
Subject: [Networker] Recovering a NW 7.6.2.1 client from a NW 8.0.1 server
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:36:13 -0400
I'm sure I know the answer, but I will ask anyway. I have a NW 7.6.2.1
client (it's Win 2003) that I need to do a full system recovery (i.e., a
DR level recovery) on. And my NW server is 8.0.1. This should not be an
issue, correct?

I ask, because I suddenly realized that I recalled reading something about
recoveries about earlier clients and NW 8.x servers. And I can not find
that reference now.

I think I should have no problem, It was a FULL backup, made to this
server. Perhaps what I read had to do with full recoveries from 8.x server
to clients from tapes made earlier than 8.x? I wish I could remember (or
find) the reference,

Anyway, as long as I have the tapes, and follow the correct Windows 2003
client DR procedure (install OS; install OS patches; install same version
of NW; do full restore of all data *except* the NW binaries; choose
"Overwrite" option), it should all Just Work,. I did this a few times back
when I was using a 7.6.x server. Should all be the same now.

Correct?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM