Networker

Re: [Networker] DD890 with daily Tape cloning

2013-08-02 11:56:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] DD890 with daily Tape cloning
From: "Stanley R. Horwitz" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:50:39 +0000
Vishal,

I manage a similar configuration, but with NetWorker 7.6.4 and a DD860 and
DDBoost. The NetWorker server involved here runs on a 64-bit Linux host, not
Windows 2008. I also stagger full backups during the week in order to minimize
network bandwidth and tape drive utilization. In this configuration, two LTO-5
drives are used in a Spectralogic t50e tape library with hardware tape
encryption enabled. I use group cloning to copy the backed up data from the DD
system to LTO-5 tape.

I also do not see any advantage of using a DD system in a VTL configuration, so
I don't do that.

We have done quite a few successful recovers, for real and for testing
purposes, from DD and magnetic tape. The only thing to be aware of is that if
you do a recover while a tape is mounted, the recovered data will be pulled off
tape, not DD. To ensure the recovered data is restored from DD, the tape cannot
be mounted. This behavior might have changed in the 8.x NetWorker stream
though, but it is not a big deal once you are aware of it.

Another thing to be aware of is that you can conceivably have a group run
longer than 24 hours because it will not complete until the tape cloning
operation is finished. Also, if the group fails due to a failure of a single
backup client issue, the cloning to tape will be skipped. Fortunately, that
problem rarely happens and NetWorker 8.1 might behave differently.