Networker

Re: [Networker] SQL 2012 backup with NMM 2.4

2013-07-31 11:50:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] SQL 2012 backup with NMM 2.4
From: Jim Weill <moondog AT ICSI.Berkeley DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:42:40 -0700
I hate to throw another wrench into the works, but I found that the best
SQL backups are a combination of the SQL utilities and the backup
software (like Networker, but also Symantec BE and others). MS SQL has a
command line utility called sqlmaint.exe which I would recommend using
to do your transaction logs and other SQL backups, then using the
Networker software to backup those files in addition to the SQL module.
You can create a small script which backs up each database and logs
using sqlmaint.exe, then add that script to a scheduled task which runs
with enough time to finish before the regular backup completes.

jim